Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DH late and unreachable (with DS)

(38 Posts)
torontonian Sun 31-May-15 17:18:08

When DH goes out, he "commits" to a time that is never met and he will not update me saying he is going to be late (sometimes more than 90 minutes).

Now, what pisses me off is when he takes DS (2 years old) and does the same. They are out now. DS lunch time is 11.30am, as in his daycare routine, but he had breakfast a bit later today and they were going to the museum with another daycare dad, so I gave it some margin and asked DH to be back no later than noon.

It is now 12.15 pm and I have no idea when they are coming back. I wrote to DH around 11.30 to remind him about the time (they have about 30min subway ride) but got no answer. I called twice now, again no answer.

I am pretty upset. Mind you my son has low weight and trouble eating so I take meals very seriously. AIBU/exaggerating? Is it normal not to be reachable/distracted and forget to send a text when they are going to catch the subway or around agreed time to say we are going to be X minutes late?

What can I do to get DH to be punctual or understand that I don't like this behaviour? I don't want and I can't tell him not to take DS out of the house.

ginmakesitallok Sun 31-May-15 17:20:38

Won't he feed him while they are out? I think yabu.

bittapitta Sun 31-May-15 17:21:07

I don't know enough back story but isn't it his job now to do lunch for DS? Maybe he has in fact stopped for lunch with him.

FlabulousChix Sun 31-May-15 17:21:34

I'm sure he wi feed him if he is hungry. Lighten up he is his father he isn't going to starve him.

Stealthpolarbear Sun 31-May-15 17:22:08

while it's not good for him to be uncontactable why do you get to tell him when to come home?

Thenapoleonofcrime Sun 31-May-15 17:22:38

Could it not be that his dad is feeding him at the museum? It seems very rigid to have to be back at such a specific time. He is as much the parent as you are- so the main requirement is your son's needs are met, not so much that you are constantly in charge/keeping everyone on schedule.

He probably entered the subway and that's why he hasn't texted.

But I wouldn't expect to have to text my husband if I went out with a female friend at all- we would just say 'see you when I see you' and I wouldn't want to have to rush back for a scheduled food thing for two year old.

It sounds like he doesn't text you sometimes which is bad, but this type of scheduling does sound extremely precise and the opposite of fun/relaxed, if it's not on a nursery day, why do they have to rush about to your timetable?

bittapitta Sun 31-May-15 17:24:29

Just seen that you've tried calling a few times. Don't take this the wrong way but: Did you have PND or similar? Because DS is with his loving father right now and you need to just let him do things his way - have a break from worrying while they are gone, let DH deal with lunch. I assumed from your title it was going to be a more dramatic duration.

CatsCantTwerk Sun 31-May-15 17:24:48

He is with his Dad. not a stranger. I'm sure his Dad is capable of looking after him and feeding him if he gets hungry.

I think you are massively over reacting and need to chill out a bit, Enjoy your alone time instead of fretting.

Shockers Sun 31-May-15 17:24:54

Are they back now?

Has your son come to any real harm whilst out with his father?

ImperialBlether Sun 31-May-15 17:25:25

Looking at it the other way around, I would be insulted and pissed off if my partner tried to control me to this extent.

Surely your child's father will feed him? Surely he wants what's best for him? Do you not trust him at all?

FeelTheNoise Sun 31-May-15 17:26:16

I'm sorry to say this, because you do sound anxious, but you are effectively insisting your DH responds accordingly to your demands, and that you want to discuss his lack of obedience. This doesn't seem fair or reasonable

PatriciaHolm Sun 31-May-15 17:26:44

I think you're being a bit anal, in all honesty. Why can't he give a 2 year old a sandwich at the museum? or a bit of cheese, or any one of a thousand snacks.

Unless your DS will absolutely 100% not eat unless at home with you, I think you are overreacting. Things happen when out and about with children having fun. He should be more contactable, yes, though it may be hard to get a signal if he's on the subway for example, but having some slack in a routine is surely normal by 2.

What does he say when you have a conversation about how his lack of communication and tardiness makes you feel?

torontonian Sun 31-May-15 17:38:31

Thank you all for your responses, I guess I need to relax a bit.
To answer some questions:
No, DH won't feed him lunch outside, I am waiting with the meal ready as we talked. I asked them to come back around DS usual lunch time. He also needs to nap before soccer practice this afternoon. That's all about the time.

DH has sometimes forgotten about feeding DS one meal, but no, no real concerns about DS safety.

Not diagnosed PND, but maybe. I got a bit overwhelmed at the end of my mat leave (one year as I leave in Canada). Now I am dealing with a full time job, home renovations, a 2 years old and I am 34 weeks pregnant, so I accept I might be over the top.

torontonian Sun 31-May-15 17:50:58

When we go out alone, I give him an estimated time and if at that time I haven't left, I will update him. I expect the same in return. Maybe I learn that from my parents, who would not go to sleep until I got home safe and sound.

On the other hand, this doesn't happen only when I am at home. If we are supposed to meet for dinner out, he can be 90 minutes late without sending a message or answering the phone.

maras2 Sun 31-May-15 18:08:18

Who has soccer practise DH or 2 year old?

torontonian Sun 31-May-15 18:13:23

2 years old. It is called little kickers, popular in Canada but easier to say soccer practice for all audiences?, designed for 18-30 months old. They just play games (identify colors, imitate animal sounds) and kick the ball a couple of times. He is not in high competition lol

sadwidow28 Sun 31-May-15 18:32:00

toron - can you just accept that they are having a great time together? I mean that in the way of you being OK with Father and Son being totally engaged in a great activity.

I am old enough to remember when we couldn't text (or even phone from/to the house). I think we had more trust and less expectation in those days.

I might have been a bit 'narked' by a late return, but I wouldn't have wound myself up about it. It's the instant communication thing that is adding stress to everyone's life IMO.

sadwidow28 Sun 31-May-15 18:35:54

I have a friend who I visit fairly regularly. I made arrangements to visit this friend on a day at a certain time. I was greeted at the front door with "you didn't text me to say that you had set off". When I left, I was instructed to text "home safely".

Care and concern can sometimes tip over into control.

Thurlow Sun 31-May-15 18:46:18

This is one of those moments where you need to step back a bit.

It's understandable. But he is his dad, and he can look after him just as well. If he's not capable of understanding that a 2yo is getting grumpy because they are hungry then he is either a truly rubbish dad, or he's being micromanaged all the time. And let's face it, a dad who is taking his son out to a museum with another daycare dad is probably not an entirely rubbish dad.

It's easy to stress. My 3yo went out with my parents this morning to give me a break. They said they were just walking around the block, they actually came back an hour and a half later. I'm quite laidback but even I had on moments of "hmm, I hope everything is ok".

Then have myself a good mental slap as nothing would have happened. They just stayed out as they were having fun. DC ate Haribo and peed in a bush at the park.

Routines are good, but not to the point of liming fun,

ImperialBlether Sun 31-May-15 20:12:00

Your son needs a little lunch box, OP! If he carries around a few little things he'll always eat and drink, your husband can take him out for hours and hours!

Lweji Sun 31-May-15 20:23:40

Hmm, I'd be a bit annoyed at least, if I had been making lunch for both because I was expecting them at a certain time and they were over an hour late with no warning. I'd also be worried, particularly if there was no answer.

And I'd probably dump anyone who made me wait 90 min for dinner out with no contact. Did he do it before you got married?

On the other hand, I wouldn't tell him when he was supposed to be back, but would rather ask him, just to plan the day and to know when to start worrying, really.

littlesupersparks Sun 31-May-15 20:33:05

I would be really annoyed. You had agreed to give him lunch at home, he needs a nap and your husband has ignored that and not bothered to let you know. The key point is that he knows you and knows it would bother you.

I think the lunch box idea is a good one though.

SugarOnTop Mon 01-Jun-15 05:36:16

how long did they actually get to spend together - father and son? doing the actual fun things i mean - not including the hours worth of subway rides. i'm guessing one hour and a half tops? you are being ridiculous, his father should be able to feed him whilst they are out-or take ds lunch with him if ds is on some sort of special diet. are you this controlling about everything?

SavoyCabbage Mon 01-Jun-15 06:04:58

I'd be agog if I was taking my own child out with a friend and my dh told me I had to be back at noon.

What time does the museum open?

ItsRainingInBaltimore Mon 01-Jun-15 06:17:32

I am sure your DH is perfectly capable of getting your son some food when he is hungry. No one will drop dead if their routine is thrown out by an hour or so, and presumably your son has a buggy so if he really needs to nap he can nap in that, or when he's on the subway home.

And if you were married to me and you tried to micro-manage my time like this, I think I would be tempted to deliberately miss your imposed curfews and stay out for exactly as long as I wanted and ignore your texts and phone calls too.

Honestly when I read posts like this I start to realise why so many people's relationships go to shit once children come on the scene. Lighten up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now