Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Dating Thread 91

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Rioux Thu 28-May-15 13:25:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rioux Thu 28-May-15 13:27:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cabrinha Thu 28-May-15 13:29:41

Yes yes, but what of the envelope pushing please?

SuperFlyHigh Thu 28-May-15 13:32:09

is that a new song Rioux?!

jesy Thu 28-May-15 14:03:03

Can I ask opinions on a meal tonight

Lamb steaks ,roast spuds caramelized carrots , minted peas
With mints sause , gravy

Pudding is a chocci pud

SuperFlyHigh Thu 28-May-15 16:13:58

Sounds nice jesy

ReallyMe71 Thu 28-May-15 18:02:40

Super Its Hozier and is my current favourite, thank you Rioux

I just had to pop in to say that I laughed at the thought of MOTS wondering why you speak to his friends/colleagues and not to him Super
Did you ever arrange drinks etc?

Mademan grin

Cabrinha I just wanted to respond to something you said in the last thread
trickiest thing I found at first was getting used to ignoring people - it seemed so rude!
This was me during my brief venture in OLD; I received nearly 200 messages in a 48 period and painstakingly replied to almost all, much to the amusement of my friends!!

Britney you seem busy messaging, anyone edging out in the lead?

Jesy your meal sounds lovely, enjoy! Everything still good with Mr Post?

Hello everyone smile I used to post a lot but trips away and tying up loose ends etc have kept me merely lurking .

Not really any dating news; Mr M and I are still good friends but nothing more, I had a couple of dates with a persistent Gardener but have since let that drift off and recently met up with an old boyfriend from twenty years ago. Not sure what or if anything will happen with that one yet.

Good luck everyone; love reading all your news smile

britneyspearscatsuit Thu 28-May-15 18:22:02

It's a full time job!

Pah, messaging a few. Feeling a bit disappointed that the last two I liked ended up being idiots.

Not feeling the love with anyone else yet.

MadeMan Thu 28-May-15 20:26:57

"I just had to pop in to say that I laughed at the thought of MOTS wondering why you speak to his friends/colleagues and not to him Super"

I missed the part where the MOTS initials were explained; all I can think of is, Man Of The Sex!

Pinklaydee1302 Thu 28-May-15 20:57:33

It's Man Obviously Tempting Super smile

Cabrinha Thu 28-May-15 21:44:36

I've also been wondering about MOTS (Man on the Stairs? If you passed him on office stairs?) but didn't want to be annoying newbie making everyone repeat stuff grin I figured it'd come out eventually!

Really 200 in 48 hours!!! shock
grin
That's almost a stealth boast, you must be HOT, girl!!!

Cabrinha Thu 28-May-15 21:57:19

I've just gone quiet on the few I was bothering to reply to. Just bored. Especially with the one who kept asking me questions, but not actually responding to anything I said. It's like someone told him "you have to show interest by asking questions" but didn't tell him you need to say something to show you've read the reply confused

I haven't replied to the man who has appeared on TV dressed as a wooden windmill. I don't think I'm exciting enough for him grin

I messaged someone 12 years older than me yesterday, on a whim. Sort of hoping he doesn't reply. I'm of a (middle) age now where I think about being jealous of people retiring before me!!

MrSarcastic is still emailing, but not lots, and I'd like him to show more interest, I think.

One more iron in the fire - replied to a guy whose profile is OK, but not sure about looks. But I'm casting the net wide! And his message was coherent which stands out on match hmm

Oh - and I'm on the verge of messaging a 21yo "if you wink every few days at a woman twice your age, and she doesn't respond, she knows you've just heard about cougars and think all middle aged women are desperate. We're not. You'll understand when you're older. Now run along."

Pinklaydee1302 Thu 28-May-15 22:08:57

Cabrinha I know what you mean about the cougar thing....it's like they can't believe it when you not interested hmm

OM is 8 years older than me, never thought I'd choose to date a guy that much older but he's lovely n it's going well so you never know!

britneyspearscatsuit Thu 28-May-15 23:44:54

pmsl at Man on the stairs!!!!

Cabrinha Thu 28-May-15 23:49:59

It's not that then? grin
But it makes him sound so sexy...

britneyspearscatsuit Thu 28-May-15 23:59:22

Okay well, I put in some hard graft the last couple of days and narrowed down all the ones I like the look of who seem interesting or with some potential and now have numbers swapped with this bevvy of candidates!

MrPretty is, well, very sweet and interesting and on paper the perfect man. Quite like this one

MrYoung is...young and hot. And quite funny because I asked him to give me 5 flaws and he gave me REALLY awful ones, which I found hilarious!!!

MrSlightlySmall who is really fit and nice, but a bit short for my tastes and I am trying not to be shallow about it. He's not a dwarf, but just shy of my 5'10" limit.

MarkRuffalo who I said I'd go out with but am very not sure about for some reason.

MrIrish who's actually not very good looking but weirdly confident which I am intrigued by. He said he'd bring me round a McFlurry tonight and I almost said yes because I'm pre-menstrual and love McFlurries.

MrTrains who is not very pushy but is growing on me slowly but surely.

So that's quite a lot for the week. MrBoat sent me an apology, but it feels like MrAwol all over again. Attitude!

MrAwol has left me alone for now but I am sure I will hear from him again. H's a human boomerang.

MrEx is finally dating someone else he likes, and he say she's just like me. I was a bit miffed at being replaced by my own self, but glad he's happy. Had a good laugh by telling him I'd replaced him too with a potato in the shape of a penis. He said I was the penis!

Trying to take dating more lightly this week!

britneyspearscatsuit Fri 29-May-15 00:00:14

Cabrina it makes him sound like a killer!!!

Cabrinha Fri 29-May-15 00:34:40

Oooooh, your phone's going to be going beep beep buzz this weekend! grin
You must also get the thing where you forget what you've spread said to each man? wink

MrSarcastic, whom I'd earlier reported as not showing enough interest for my liking, has been emailing me all evening. I would, at this point, say yes to a drink. But I'm not bothered enough to ask myself (I do ask - I don't have any issue about that)

Pitiful compared to your haul - good luck!!

midori1999 Fri 29-May-15 08:02:45

Oh. So... Was chatting online/whatsapp to a guy until 3.30am.... Really, really stupid when you're not as young as you used to be and have to be up with your DC... I haven't laughed so much in ages though. There was lots of banter and it was fun. He seems intelligent and is funny and although I think I would like him regardless of what he looked like, he is hot... Ok... HOT... However... He didn't want to tell me what his job was until we met, as he said people judged him for it. Fine. After a while we got talking about it and he gave me these three obscure clues and I had to guess. It was quite funny. Only, I'm not sure if he's lying. I've no reason to think that, but it's something that might be deemed as impressive I suppose and he just seems too good to be true. I'm also annoyed with myself, because I am sort of impressed by it and I don't know why. I find it attractive and I don't know why. Anyway... I'll call him Mr toogoodtobetrue.

I'm not really after anything serious, I also don't really want anyone to meet my DC etc. I really just want someone to date and have fun with, although obviously if it naturally got more serious eventually I probably wouldn't run away. I didn't expect to be so keen on someone though and I feel like I need a shake... So feel free to shake and tell me your horror stories...

midori1999 Fri 29-May-15 08:08:36

Pink good luck with OM... Hope it continues to go well.

Britney MrIrish sounds nice... Presumably Irish accent AND mcflurries? A no brainer, surely? grin glad MrBoat apologised... The rest sound interesting and you're not wrong when you say give been busy weeding them out...

Cabrinha did MrSarcastic ask you out in the end last night?

Cabrinha Fri 29-May-15 08:16:01

Sounds a fine if tiring night!
You know we'll want the clues now and lost the guessing game too?
It's funny, how if you click with someone that all sounds charming and fun.
But if you're just on the outside, well... it makes me think he's annoying and up his own arse blush Tell, don't tell. The guessing games would annoy me if he had refused initially to say. If he had said "I have a cool job, I love it, guess!" then fine. But saying he wouldn't tell you, then guessing... Feels like he's making a big thing of it, which is irritating. He wants it both ways - to complain he's judged for it, but also to use it to attract confused
Sorry! Feels like I've just slated him and I know that I have none of the context. But it's interesting that you think he could be lying! I would say that he had every intention of telling you. If he really didn't like telling people, he'd have just downplayed it to a different role until you met.

Still, no harm in chatting to him again and seeing what you think!

midori1999 Fri 29-May-15 08:47:46

I agree completely Cabrinha and the line of work he is in makes me think he could be up his own arse. In fact, I think it's almost certain he must be. I have friends in a similar field and they would say everyone in fat profession is up their own arse...

So I agree with you. I'd probably date him anyway though, just for the laughs.

Cabrinha Fri 29-May-15 08:47:52

He didn't ask me out Midori but that's fine, I don't have a dating slot until 17th June! And even then I'll have to be really keen to miss a squash group for it confused
Not sure why I'm even attempting to date really!

I think I'm going to have to change my username to "curmudgeonly"! grin I just get so hmm at people who message /wink me, and it means I make the field very narrow blush There's one this morning, sent me a message. His profile is fine. But he's 46 and put his age range as 26-49.
In my head, my opening reply line to him is "would you really date a 26yo? Someone closer to your 7yo daughter's age than yours?"
I know there are loads of people MN with age gaps. But I kind of think, well if happens... but to go looking for it?
When the 21yo winked at me, I took the piss about it. I don't think I'm suited to a man who would date a woman of 26.

Maybe he's my soulmate and actually meant 36!

Mind you, he used the word soulmate, and that puts me off instantly too. See - Curmudgeonly!

Cabrinha Fri 29-May-15 08:52:01

Confidence is a lovely thing Midori so he may stay just enough outside his arse grin Got to be worth a whirl!!

Tbh, I'm probably over sensitive on the jobs thing... I had 5 messages (unreciprocated in a row) from an actor whose entire profile was his CV and he sent me a link to his professional website. It's an interesting job I'm sure, but it's all "date me I'm an actor". I prefer to date based on personality grin So I'm a bit sensitive to braggers this week!

midori1999 Fri 29-May-15 09:46:12

17th of June! Is that because you've got dates or are just busy? I have to say, I thought I had loads of time free to date, but it turns out not so much...

I remember the actor from the other thread. From Emmerdale, right? There's definitely a difference between confidence and being a bragger, that's for sure.

Oh yes to 'soulmates'. I quite liked one profile, but the guy was looking for his 'princess' and that could never be me, so it put me right off. I also hate men being over complimentary. It's so off putting, I'm not sure why, as I do like a compliment as much as the next person, but there's a line.

This thread is not accepting new messages.