Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

hitting the kids

(23 Posts)
lemonstartree Sat 02-May-15 20:16:20

Today my ex lost his temper with my 12 year old ds2 and hit him round the head with a TV remote control. He has contact with ds2 and 3 one day a week, not overnight. His choice

He says DS2 & 3 were fighting. He sees nothing wrong with his response. DS2 and 3 are distraught.

I am tempted to tell DS2 and 3 that I am stopping contact. That I will not allow them to see him. But for how long? what if they want to? Ds 2 is almost 13, he should have choice I think ?

what a fucking mess. I have posted before about ExH cannabis habit. Perhaps enough is enough ...

Vivacia Sat 02-May-15 20:18:15

How is your son?

lemonstartree Sat 02-May-15 20:19:02

ds2 is 12. ds3 is 10. ds1 (16) barely sees him

AngelWings74 Sat 02-May-15 20:23:58

I would speak to both your children about whether they want to see him or not? Did he Mark your son? Is this the first time he has been physical towards either of them?

MadameJosephine Sat 02-May-15 20:24:28

I would stop contact and I might even consider reporting him to the police for assault so that it was on record for any potential protest about the contact stopping

Floundering Sat 02-May-15 20:25:13

They are old enough that a judge in family court would take his wishes into account.

If he is a drug user then he is likely to have periods of time when he is unsafe/incapable of being in charge of children. It certainly sounds like his temper is worsening as it does with a lot of cannabis users.

Get legal advice but i think you'd be justified in refusing contact if that's what the boys want, or insisting its in a contact centre or mutually agreed 3rd party location.

Spotifymuse Sat 02-May-15 20:30:19

Stop contact, report him to the police on the non emergency number. Even if they take no action this time, reported incidents will help support your children if they decide not to see him.

missqwerty Sat 02-May-15 21:59:05

What a pig! That is abuse. I've never once laid a finger on any of my children and never will, smacking controls through pain and sadness. Report him to the police

LadyB49 Sat 02-May-15 23:03:16

I reckon children are old enough say if they do or don't want to see him. They can't be physically trailed to a visit.

ovumahead Sat 02-May-15 23:06:46

If he can't see he's done anything wrong then that's just awful. Has he left a mark on your sons head? If so please take a photo in case you need it as evidence. And email it to yourself so you don't lose it. Poor kids.

pnutter Sat 02-May-15 23:19:43

look after your kids. Everything else is secondary .

pnutter Sat 02-May-15 23:20:44

Sorry for you and dc how horrible

WishIwasanastronaut Sat 02-May-15 23:23:41

So sorry for you and your kids. As the ex-partner of a cannabis user I can really empathize with what you are going through. Would love to be more help but can't offer anything practical. Hugs.

Fairenuff Sun 03-May-15 00:59:05

I would stop contact. Protect the children.

lunalelle Sun 03-May-15 02:40:56

I would stop contact. I'd also be livid. My DS is 12 and the thought of hurting him makes me feel physically sick.

YvyB Sun 03-May-15 09:13:25

Phone the police and report. It would be totally unacceptable for a stranger to do this to your ds: why on earth is it more acceptable because the aggressor once donated a chromosome? It's assault. You need it on record.
Take photos of any marks / bruising. Please stop contact - ultimately your dcs are totally dependent on you for protection. There is NEVER any justification for a parent to hit a child with an object. There is no way that this could ever be interpreted as a 'light disciplinary smack'.

WishIwasanastronaut Sun 03-May-15 09:55:13

Just a thought - what about contacting social services? It might be an idea to get something logged for child protection reasons if, at a later date, you need to go down the route of stopping contact against your ex-partner's wishes.

Spotifymuse Sun 03-May-15 10:14:50

The first thing social services will do will be ask why you haven't reported the assault to the police. You need to show that you are a protective parent.

Fairenuff Sun 03-May-15 10:44:58

I don't think that's true Spotify, it's not necessary to report to police unless you want to OP. The important thing is to take steps to keep the children safe. They cannot and should not be asked to make that decision.

If you want advice contact Childline

MarianneSolong Sun 03-May-15 10:49:28

I think hitting children around the head is potentially dangerous - whether that's a blow with the hand or with an object.

As children get towards adolescence some parents may increasingly hit out to assert their power/control.

Fighting - to punish children who are fighting - is also clearly a bad tactic.

I think at 12 children should be able to understand that this isn't a good response, and you're inevitably concerned. I think supervised contact would be the way forward at this point in time.

lemonstartree Mon 04-May-15 11:27:08

I hate him
Hes a selfish useless arsehole
my DP and I do everything for the kids. he has one day a week to enjoy their company and all he does is sit around with them while he read sthe paper, and wonders why they get fractions. Then he looses his temper and assaults them
Thats it. I have tried to encourage a relationship with their father, because no matter what I think of he he is ther father. But they would be better off without him. hes a gigantic waste of space

SouthCoastSister Mon 04-May-15 11:30:45

Your poor boy. And you. Ring SS they are great with advice and will help you.

Jux Mon 04-May-15 12:15:27

I would ring police on 101, and also ss. Cover your arse, as they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now