Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

happily single mum of 3 needs advice on how to get a life :(

(13 Posts)
ggg123 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:12:33

I am middle 30's single for 4 years (dated but never found anyone I have clicked with)
All of my friends are settled in relationships/marriages and I find myself twiddling my thumbs every other sat eve when my girls go to their dads.
I'm not exactly looking to meet someone (although that would be nice) I just feel like I don't have any human contact. My job is very much lone working, alot of driving.
I go to an exercise class a couple of times a week but I just feel completely out of the loop with everything.
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers in how to meet new people?

knightofswords Sat 10-Jan-15 18:32:54

Get yourself on meetup and join a few groups. There will be some good ones and some not so good ones, but it's a great way to meet new people and do interesting things at the same time

FolkGirl Sat 10-Jan-15 18:35:43

What interests do you have?

Volunteering is a good way of meeting people, either as a regular thing or one off, say for a music event. What about a local charity? I don't really mean just helping out in a charity shop, there are lots of things you can do. There are some really exciting charities!

What about joining a community choir? You generally don't need to be able to sing particularly well; you usually don't have to audition for them.

Dance classes? A lot of dance styles have quite an active social dance scene attached to them with people aged between early twenties to early 80s.

Do you play an instrument? You could join a local band/orchestra.

Mountaineering/rambling/hill walking clubs...

ggg123 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:37:41

Ok thanks, whats meetup?

ggg123 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:40:00

I would like to join maybe a walking group but my mum has and it seems they're alot older.
How would I find out about charities? Do people actually do these things alone?

RudyMentary Sat 10-Jan-15 18:44:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ggg123 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:48:57

I don't know. I live in such a small village I have not heard of it!

FolkGirl Sat 10-Jan-15 18:49:05

Volunteering opportunities

British Mountaineering Council

I think it depends which clubs you join as to whether they're older or not. To be honest, though, I'm 39. My youngest friend is 20 and my oldest is 73. The sort of people who get involved and are active in their lives tend to be more similarly matched by attitude, interests and zest for life than age.

I have a number of friends now, but I did absolutely everything I do alone to begin with.

Hughfearnley Sat 10-Jan-15 18:52:24

There are plenty of young ramblers groups around the country. Many are targeted at the 20s and 30s age bracket
Running clubs are also a good bet, I second the volunteering idea.
What about a new hobby, eg book club, photography (camera club), wine club etc

FolkGirl Sat 10-Jan-15 18:54:23

Or have a look at joining Spice

FolkGirl Sat 10-Jan-15 18:55:23

They even do dating...

ggg123 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:57:54

Thanks folkgirl this gives me hope. A bit nervous on my own. Thanks for the links.
Wine club? Never heard of this but sounds great smile
I have been looking at running clubs actually but can't run haha.

ggg123 Sat 10-Jan-15 19:00:06

Aw thankyou folkgirl I will look now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now