Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

abusive ex new gf

(41 Posts)
MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 15:23:50

his dv convictions are on the web for all to see. should i alert her to them. i dont know her, just saw her on fb. he wull come after me if he knows its me. his violence was also sexual, she has young daughters. i feel such a coward.

RandomNPC Fri 09-Jan-15 15:28:51

You could always discuss your concerns with your local social services.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 15:32:58

If you want to protect this woman and her children then the best route is probably going to be via Social Services or Child Protection. Are they living together?

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 15:33:11

that is a good idea. thank u.

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 15:37:03

cogito i dont know if they live together but hes the type to push hard to move in quickly. her kids r teenagers not sure of there age.

bettyboop1970 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:40:22

Inform social services as it is a child protection/safeguarding matter.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 15:41:53

If you don't know this woman, how did you see her on FB?

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 15:45:43

cogito i was looking at his fb and pics etc were up there

AngelDreams Fri 09-Jan-15 15:46:59

CogitoErgoSometimes:

maybe ex is in a relationship with her, which would also give clues that shes the new gf??

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 15:54:28

Why were you looking at a violent ex's FB page?

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 16:05:11

cogito, refuge moved me as they said i was high risk. he also moved. i found out where he lives on fb. knowing where he lives makes me feel safe and i know not to travel to the area. he has a history. of stalking me

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 16:12:09

If you don't feel safe, talk to the police and the refuge. If you are a victim and at high risk, you should demand to be kept up to date with his location. I understand that you feel it gives you some security but abusive relationships are all about control. If you are checking his FB status to make sure he is still in the same town, you risk still being controlled by him even though you're meant to have escaped the abuse.

You can't protect every woman he ever has a relationship with. Your responsibility is to make a good life for yourself.

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 16:19:45

cogito the police r not allowed to tell me the area, i did ask them. i had to play detective to keep myself safe. i was considering moving to that area before i found out he was there. neither refuge or police had that info and police said even if they did, they couldnt tell me. screwed up eh? i have moved on and im happy now but when even the police tell u hes mad, it makes u jittery. he only stopped stalking me six months ago. we split 15 months ago.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 16:20:47

And he was convicted of assaulting you? How long did he serve?

RandomNPC Fri 09-Jan-15 16:21:02

He sounds fucking awful. Do talk to SS, and do protect yourself.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 16:25:00

More questions... sorry. How did the stalking stop? Did you take out an injunction or did it just peter out? Have you got legal representation at all?

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 16:40:00

police threatened him with ro if he approached me so that made him back off. the judge refused to give him ro as we had so often contacted each other and got back together over ten years. he didnt get a custodial sentence.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 16:51:45

So when you said he had DV convictions was that involving someone else?

Newrule Fri 09-Jan-15 16:56:41

Cogito how does your line of questioning help the OP? Are you asking simply to satisfy your curiosity or are you gathering info to provide a really helpful set of advice to her?

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 16:59:22

sorry cognito, one dv coviction for assaulting me, and another non dv conviction. i have to b careful what info i give, as when we were together he managed to get all my passwords and knew all my websites. obviously passwords are all changed but he could b reading this thread.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 17:04:14

@Newrule.... I'm asking these questions because think victims of DV and stalking need protection through the law and should not be expected to play detective and run their own witness protection programme single-handed via Facebook. I think the OP sounds very frightened, her movements appear restricted, she's worried about being hacked and she's anxious and feels responsible for his new girlfriend's safety.

I believe that there should be a restraining order and I think the judgement last time should be challenged.

Is that OK with you?

Mom2K Fri 09-Jan-15 17:04:44

Maybe the line of questioning is to get a fuller picture of the situation, in order to give an informed opinion as to whether or not OP should contact SS or warn the new g/f in some other way?

Dunno, just a guess. Without that info - if you are seriously concerned about the safety of the new g/f's daughters...I think a call to SS would be a good idea. But as a pp said - you can't really warn every new person he may get involved with, it will be impossible. Your main focus here is to move forward with your own life and be kind to yourself. As you said, if he knew it was you he would come after you, so I don't think you should be doing anything to compromise your own safety. xx

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 17:05:44

newrule thank u for ur concern but im happy to answer all questions.. this is an issue that should be talked about. in my new job i talk to agencies about dv and been told i really helped them understand the psychology of dv.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Jan-15 17:08:15

OP would you consider going back to a lawyer and getting a restraining order? Or to put it another way, what would you need to happen to make you feel safer and more relaxed on an ongoing basis?

MyRightFoot Fri 09-Jan-15 17:15:10

mom, i think hed come after me even if he couldnt prove it was me. one thing i know, if he wants to find me, he will. apart from moving abroad, a lot of my fear is really about ten years of conditioning. it took me months to stop checking the house for bugs because he hinted once that hed bugged our home. ive made a great life for myself but it can take years to shake off what is called high vigilence. cognito, the judge was a female twonk,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now