Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone used Plenty of Fish- a query.

(12 Posts)
MsQuickly Wed 07-Jan-15 07:58:35

My brother has met a woman on a dating site- not POF- and been seeing her for some time. I have my reservations about her and from what he's said she has a bit of a poor track record- but he's also very trusting and a bit naive. She had mentioned to him when they first met that she'd been on various sites including POF. A few days back I decided to have a look and she is still there. Her profile is right at the end of the ones in her location but it is there. I don't want to think the worst automatically, so is there any chance it could still be there even if she no longer logs in, is 'historical' in some way or she has even forgotten to close it down? Sorry if this sounds a bit dim but wondering why it's there on the site.

JeanSeberg Wed 07-Jan-15 08:01:57

It's possible that it's an old profile that she's just not closed or she could still be actively dating... but it's for your brother to decide isn't it?

Notgoodwithwords Wed 07-Jan-15 08:04:26

Hi, on the search part you can search people on "last visit" so if she's at bottom of that list then she hasn't been on in a while but no way of knowing how long.. A profile will always appear somewhere on there unless it's fully deleted.

MsQuickly Wed 07-Jan-15 08:07:23

Thanks.
I know it's his call but I don't want to shatter his dreams if there is some innocent explanation and I need to be careful how I broach it.
I wondered if by still being visible it meant she was open to winks, or whatever they use on POF, or if she could still be showing there and not 'available' to contact.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Wed 07-Jan-15 08:09:08

I think you need to butt out!

MsQuickly Wed 07-Jan-15 08:13:32

I'm not going to interfere- but he can be naive.

abbykins3 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:20:06

He must be reasonably happy with the situation at the moment and he is aware of her poor track record so I would just let him get on with it but just keep a wary eye on things.

Hesaysshewaffles Wed 07-Jan-15 08:22:03

If you do a search on a PC, rather than mobile device and she pops up. It will at when she was last active.

Fairylea Wed 07-Jan-15 08:25:33

I'd stay well out of it.

I met my dh on pof and it took us a while to delete our profiles because we were busy seeing each other and couldn't work out how to do it! And frankly couldn't be bothered. We have been together nearly 5 years now and have a 2 year old together and also my dd from a previous relationship.

Don't say anything to your brother about your feelings about her at all. He won't thank you for it.

Notgoodwithwords Wed 07-Jan-15 08:28:27

You can hide your profile too & still search but can't be seen but unless you go through the steps of deleting your profile your profile will appear somewhere.. That could be general search or local people or your matches chosen by pof .

As long as your profile is on there then yes you can receive messages or a notification that someone has looked at your profile or has said they would like to meet you.

It is a bit of a faff to delete profile can only be done on main site not app so she just might not have got round to it.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 07-Jan-15 08:57:15

What do you mean by "poor track record"?

You can hide your profile so it's still there but can ony be seen by yourself and those who have previously messaged you.

Or you can delete it completely

Or you can just leave it there and forget about it

I would counsel you against saying anything to your DB - he won't want to hear.

lowiep84 Wed 07-Jan-15 11:42:44

I met my boyfriend on pof and it took me a few attempts to delete my profile as I didn't have a clue how to do it, so I was still recieving messages. We've been together nearly 3 years and have a baby due any day now. At least give her the benefit of the doubt. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now