Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dd (22) on JSA moving back home - how much rent to charge?

(28 Posts)
Mouldypineapple Tue 06-Jan-15 19:59:29

Dd has been living away initially for Uni but for the past year has been trying to get a job. For a variety of reasons she has been unable to find one and we (decision made as a family) have now decided it would be best if she moved back home and try here.

She is currently on JSA (£56 ish per week). As we are her parents she can't claim housing benefit for here, but I think as an adult she should be paying something towards the house, food etc.

So, how much?

Teeb Tue 06-Jan-15 20:02:03

It depends how proactively I felt they were taking the job search.

If very seriously, nothing. If not at all then up to £16/20 a week.

FrogIsATwat Tue 06-Jan-15 20:02:05

If she is trying her best and circumstances are against her.. minimul. A fiver? Just a token.

FrogIsATwat Tue 06-Jan-15 20:03:19

X post but our amounts vary !

FrogIsATwat Tue 06-Jan-15 20:05:00

Oops mis read pp! I agree with teeb

WeAreEternal Tue 06-Jan-15 20:06:44

The benefit is designed to cover the claimants living expenses so I would ask for at least 50%.

Bogeyface Tue 06-Jan-15 20:07:51

I would say £15 -20. Not for any other reason than it reminds her that life isnt a free ride!

If you can afford it then save it for her, if not then use it towards the food bills. Presumably she will still be better off than she currently is if she is paying electric/gas etc.

KellyElly Tue 06-Jan-15 20:08:54

Nothing. She can pay her way when she finds a job. £56 per week is nothing if she's paying travel costs to interviews, buying toiletries etc.

Bogeyface Tue 06-Jan-15 20:09:22

The benefit is designed to cover the claimants living expenses so I would ask for at least 50%

But how do you detemine what they are? 50% seems a lot when you consider that things like gas and electric are unlikely to increase very much when she moves in. Council Tax will remain the same and I would imagine she has her own phone. So I would base it purely on increased food bills.

LineRunner Tue 06-Jan-15 20:11:00

Is she paying towards food?

mytartanscarf Tue 06-Jan-15 20:12:07

Do you need it?

If so I don't understand why you are asking for it from her other than to make a point and the point you are making seems to be - you can't expect our love and support without putting a price on it.

I'll stick my neck out and say I just don't understand that point of view. In our family we didn't talk money, they were there when I needed them and vice versa.

Finola1step Tue 06-Jan-15 20:12:18

If she is actively looking for a job, then charge nothing. She needs to be spending the money on getting to interviews, buying presentable interview clothes etc.

If slacking, £20 and a deadline.

MinceSpy Tue 06-Jan-15 20:14:20

If she proactive in her job hunting and so using the money for fares etc I'd be inclined to charge £5 - 10 but if she thinks being home means she can do nothing then at least half.

SoonToBeSix Tue 06-Jan-15 20:16:07

£5-£10 for food , jsa isn't meant to cover rent.

usualsuspect333 Tue 06-Jan-15 20:18:24

I wouldn't take anything if she was looking for a job.

expatinscotland Tue 06-Jan-15 20:19:39

£20 and save it for her if you don't need it

Mouldypineapple Tue 06-Jan-15 20:19:48

She is actively looking for a job but has admitted not as hard as she could be.. I pay for her phone and will do until she gets a job. So far I help with travel, clothes etc too.

Partly it is making a point about not having a free ride. We have helped her out financially a lot the last few years and I think she takes it for granted a lot really. She is in some ways quite immature but has also suffered a bit with anxiety and depression so not entirely her fault about not having a job. Hopefully with our help this will improve.

We are ok financially but I am currently out of work due to health problems and we're by no means rich so it would be helpful to have a little extra yes.

itsbetterthanabox Tue 06-Jan-15 20:20:43

Nothing. She can pay some when's she's earning.

ocelot7 Tue 06-Jan-15 20:22:54

Moving back home as an adult it's important she participates in household tasks like cooking dinner, shopping for food, cleaning etc When my son was working pt & earning very little he made dinner/cleared up every work night.

mytartanscarf Tue 06-Jan-15 20:23:17

To me it seems a bit topsy-turvy to pay for a phone and travel and clothes (exceptions for birthday presents and so on of course) and then ask for £10 or whatever from JSA. smile £56 really is a tiny amount even for a youngster living at home.

expatinscotland Tue 06-Jan-15 20:24:41

Stop paying for her phone. She needs to be pitching in with the housework, too.

fluffling Tue 06-Jan-15 20:24:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PerpetualStudent Tue 06-Jan-15 20:27:45

I would ask for nothing, but start to withdraw the 'extras' - if she can admit she's not job hunting as hard as possible, then paying for her clothes/travel etc isn't really giving her an experience of financial independence and the motivation to find something.

What support/treatment is she getting for the anxiety and depression? I've had issues with this in the past, so know how hard job hunting etc can be under those circumstances, but was lucky enough to have CBT and counselling to help me get over the worst of it - this allowed me to be confident about applications and interviews and once I was earning and doing a job I enjoyed my confidence soared.

Mouldypineapple Tue 06-Jan-15 20:41:59

We have been paying phone as she was living away (4 hrs travel away) and wanted to make sure she could stay in touch. Clothes etc some things here and there, making sure she has some smart bits, not everything. She is not a big one for clothes shopping etc, not very girly so no make up etc but has other hobbies which require a bit of money as most things do!

We were thinking maybe 25% of her money in rent. This includes food, heating, Internet... She gets her money's worth out of that! She will have to help out around the house a bit and cook a family meal a week, and a little bit of childcare for Dd2 (5), just casual bits here and there. I don't think that's unfair.
She also needs to engage in some voluntary work until she can get a regular job. She has agreed to all these things, knows she needs to pay some rent but amount undecided as yet. I have said I will give her less/no money once home. We have in some ways enabled her to be a bit too dependent on us financially therefore she needs to learn to budget better.

Mouldypineapple Tue 06-Jan-15 20:45:02

Re Anxiety etc. she is currently on some medication for this which is helping a bit. Previously had some counselling but a while ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now