Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Taken for a mug?

(7 Posts)
Ghostlife Sun 04-Jan-15 01:35:54

Friendlyish divorce going through. Have done first part and agreed a fair split to reflect our different salaries and needs but just realised that I will be responsible for 2 children at university at the same time as I am primary carer. Is there anything I can do about this? He has a new family now so old family becoming less important and I doubt he will contribute anything to help them at university even though he is the higher earner.

Anything I can do about this? Ask for a little more equity to cover 2 kids at uni?

caroldecker Sun 04-Jan-15 01:52:37

If they are over 18, you are not entitled to child maintenence. if he provides for the DC, he should do so directly.

dirtybadger Sun 04-Jan-15 01:57:13

What you're expected to contribute will be income assessed. It's shit but if you had more money (from him) you'd just be expected to pay that. You wouldn't end up any better off.

heyday Sun 04-Jan-15 04:51:03

Do your DC have their own student finance in place. Their grants should cover their basic living expenses so your contribution for them should be minimal. Perhaps they could also try and get a part time job to supplement their incomes.
Think DC should contact their DF directly to see if he able/willing to help them out financially.
It might also be worth having a discussion with him now whilst things are amicable to see if he will contribute anything towards them but as he has a new family I expect his new partner is trying to ensure that most of his money will go to her and their new family.

ChristinaMatthews Sun 04-Jan-15 05:02:23

Seek to facilitate that your DC stay in contact and on reasonably good terms with their DF and his new family - it will be easier for the money to flow in their direction if this is so, and nicer all round.

akaWisey Sun 04-Jan-15 08:40:28

I'm surprised that an agreement about university fees wasn't negotiated as part of the financials tbh. Did you do this through a consent order, or as a private arrangement between you?

Ghostlife Sun 04-Jan-15 10:10:05

We have agreed a private arrangement but not too late to discuss this as we need to get a solicitor to do the wording of consent order. Is this a normal thing to put in?

The new family are step children in late teens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now