Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do I go or not?

(16 Posts)
Confusedaboutdate Thu 01-Jan-15 18:16:26

Arranged to meet up with old friend in London this weekend. Going to a show then stay in hotel (twin beds). Bit of history he was once married to a friend of mine, he always made me laugh and is a lovely man.
Since agreeing to go he is messaging telling me I am his unrequited love, how romantic it will be this weekend etc. I am now having second thoughts about going. I was looking forward to seeing him and having a much needed laugh but it has all turned a little unpleasant.
I have been clear that although single I have no interest in him romantically but am I being unfair arranging to meet him?
I am not sure what i am scared of exactly, I am sure I would be safe but a fun couple of days with a friend has turned into something else entirely.
Am I over thinking this or am I being a bitch to him knowing how I feel?

Joysmum Thu 01-Jan-15 18:17:48

No way I'd share a hotel room with anyone saying that sort of thing to me if I wasn't interested in them that way.

HouseWhereNobodyLives Thu 01-Jan-15 18:17:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HouseWhereNobodyLives Thu 01-Jan-15 18:18:59

SurlyCue Thu 01-Jan-15 18:19:01

Nope i wouldnt go. He's made it clear he wants more.

RandomNPC Thu 01-Jan-15 18:20:02

No, you shouldn't go.

Confusedaboutdate Thu 01-Jan-15 18:22:05

Thank you for the replies ladies I thought the same, feel bad for cancelling and can think of no real reason to give apart from I feel uncomfortable. Thanks for the responses smile

HouseWhereNobodyLives Thu 01-Jan-15 18:24:07

LineRunner Thu 01-Jan-15 18:26:06

Well, being blunt, I imagine you're worried he might try to have sex with you and have piss poor boundaries.

Confusedaboutdate Thu 01-Jan-15 18:28:31

Beautifully put LineRunner exactly what I am scared of, I am sure it would not be the case and he would be a gentleman but...

LineRunner Thu 01-Jan-15 18:40:51

I don't think you are sure, though.

Cupoteap Thu 01-Jan-15 18:44:31

You need to trust your instinct

LineRunner Thu 01-Jan-15 19:06:12

Read your OP again. You say you are 'sure' but you do also use the words 'romantic' and 'scared'. So you are fearful of the unwelcome lunge I reckon, whether it be 'just' a hug, kiss, or more.

Is this because it would be embarrassing? Or do you have further worries? I think you need to articulate these, tbh.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Thu 01-Jan-15 19:10:01

To be totally honest I'd be terrified he'd spike my drink or something, no way would I share a hotel room with him.

HouseWhereNobodyLives Thu 01-Jan-15 19:29:56

Confusedaboutdate Thu 01-Jan-15 19:43:07

I have cancelled and I feel much better, I was ok with the arrangement as we are good friends but the messages have made me feel uncomfortable.
Thank you all for your replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now