Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Ds11 says he feels "bullied" by DH....

(91 Posts)
Queenofknickers Mon 29-Dec-14 22:49:19

DH has quite a dominant personality and we have had a few conversations before where I have said he shouldn't scream/swear at the children but he thinks I mean they should just "get away with anything". Tonight ds11 didn't want to go to bed at 8 pm as it's the holidays and he wanted to stay up till 8.30. Personally I would have been happy to compromise and agree that but DH sees any challenge as insubordination and screamed/swore at DS. I tried to stop him going into DS room a and he physically pulled my hand off the handle. I have told him this was unacceptable. DS is upset and says he feels bullied by his dad. I don't know what to do.

Passmethecrisps Mon 29-Dec-14 22:54:17

This sounds like a dreadful situation.

Personally, no one has screamed or sworn at me or grabbed my harshly by the wrist so I struggle to see this as normal.

Your daughter is asking for help so you must respond. Speak to your gp or school in the first instance and ask about positive parenting for your DH if you think he would go for it.

If not, you have to help your children feel safe and that might mean tough decisions from you

Passmethecrisps Mon 29-Dec-14 22:55:46

Forgive me - I thought there were two children. DS only then. The same advice stands

NewName2015 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:56:09

Your DS is right, he is bullied by his dad. Don't you agree?

EssexMummy123 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:56:48

He pulled your hand away? were you being insubordinate as well?

HansieLove Mon 29-Dec-14 22:57:19

He is a bully to both of you. That was not a situation where screaming was necessary, they could have talked it through.

Queenofknickers Mon 29-Dec-14 22:58:17

Thanks, crisps, it reassuring to hear that someone else thinks it's not ok iyswim. DH does not accept help/advice and certainly not parenting course. My children come first so I will do whatever is necessary but really I'd like to save my marriage too sad

Fairylea Mon 29-Dec-14 22:59:48

He's a total bully.

Apart from anything else an 8pm bedtime for an 11 year old is way too early. My 11 year old dd is going to bed about 9.30 during the hols and about 9 ish on a school night.

There's no need whatsoever for him to swear at your son or to yank your hand away from the door. It's controlling and abusive.

AnyFucker Mon 29-Dec-14 22:59:58

Your husband sounds horrible towards your son

and 8pm in the school holidays ? confused

Queenofknickers Mon 29-Dec-14 23:00:52

I was frequently bullied and abused as a child and young adult so I know (through years of therapy) that I tend to minimise it. It's not ok to shout and swear and it's not ok to physically pull my hand away. End of. But what do I do???

Passmethecrisps Mon 29-Dec-14 23:01:13

Of course you do. You married him for a reason but children changes our perspective greatly.

Is he always aggressive, shouty, sweary? What age is DS? You do need to be terribly careful about the messages of acceptable behaviour which is sent to your DS .

What about your family? Mum? Siblings?

AnyFucker Mon 29-Dec-14 23:01:50

op your husband should not be treating his children like that

nasty

are you frightened of him too...that is the only reason I can think of as to why you might stand by and allow it to happen, tbh

OddFodd Mon 29-Dec-14 23:03:08

Why do you want to save your marriage? He sounds like an aggressive bully. Saying he has a 'dominant personality' is minimising unacceptable behaviour sad

And (possibly off topic) why on earth are you sending an 11YO to bed at 8pm anyway? My DS goes to bed at that time and he's 7.

coffeeandcalpol Mon 29-Dec-14 23:03:24

Very difficult situation for you, but in my opinion, there is never a situation where a parent should scream and swear at a child, raise voice maybe but not lose control and never intimidate a child, or you! Your son needs to see that until he can stop a person behaving in this way towards him, you will, dh sounds very much like a bully, how far would he go, would it escalate from shouting and swearing?

Queenofknickers Mon 29-Dec-14 23:04:38

I know I have no real reason to be frightened of him yet somehow I am and it's paralysing. I just want everything to be ok and happy family. I need to get real.

Passmethecrisps Mon 29-Dec-14 23:04:53

What you do depends on what you want to happen.

It is easy for me to say LTB and give you instructions to flee tonight while sitting comfy. You have to decide for yourself what is manageable in the time you have and support Available to you.

Personally, I couldn't cope with that level of aggression so would be seeking to leave ASAP. The council/social work/Dr will be able to help if you want to leave. Similarly they will be able to provide counselling of you could persuade DH.

Deep down???

IDontDoIroning Mon 29-Dec-14 23:04:54

Your 11 yo is going to bed at 8.00 in the holidays?? I'm assuming they are yr 6 not yr 7? In school time this should be later definitely in the holidays nearer 9 at least.
Shouting and swearing at an 11 yo who doesn't want go go to bed at 8.00 is excessive.

piggychops Mon 29-Dec-14 23:04:58

If your DH is going to battle over everything he is in for one heck of a hard time when DS hits puberty. He is also running the risk of permanently damaging his relationship with DS.
Your DS is reaching an age where he is beginning to need more responsibility as part starting on a path to becoming an independent person and some of that is achieved by negotiation. It means your DS will start to challenge things but that is normal. It's a bit of an art deciding which things to concede on.
8pm is quite early for an 11 year-old bed time. My DS goes at 9 with lights off at 930pm during term time.

FunkyBoldRibena Mon 29-Dec-14 23:05:30

8 oclock for an eleven year old is pretty early.

Isnt the point that he is starting to negotiate bedtimes and is just being bullied into submission by his dad? He called it right.

So, what are you going to do about it?

WineWineWine Mon 29-Dec-14 23:06:21

Wow, he sounds horrid. That really is bullying behaviour. He needs to acknowledge that he is in the wrong and this is his problem if you are to have any hope of dealing with it. Otherwise he will continue as he currently does.
And 8pm is ridiculously early for an 11yr old.

OddFodd Mon 29-Dec-14 23:06:40

And well done to your DS for standing up for himself. I've been in his shoes and it's bloody hard when you know that your mum is always going to defer to your dad, no matter how terribly he's behaving.

Please don't just let this go. Your children need you onside, fighting their corner.

LizzieVereker Mon 29-Dec-14 23:07:42

I am sorry, that sounds horrible.

8pm sounds terribly early for an 11 year old in the holidays, but that is only my opinion. If you and DH want to set a bedtime, that should and can easily be accomplished without shouting, certainly without swearing, and most definitely without physical force. It sounds like he's bullying you both.

How would DH react to be told that DS had shouted and sworn at a younger student at school, or physically prevented someone from opening a door? Not well, I expect. But if DH continues to model this kind of bullying behaviour what does he expect?

I hope you are OK. Do you have any RL support?

vindscreenviper Mon 29-Dec-14 23:09:26

An adult "screaming and swearing" at a child isn't bullying it's abuse. Do you think your DH is capable of recognising this and changing how he speaks to you and your children? If not then how much "screaming and swearing" do you want your children to endure during their childhood?

LizzieVereker Mon 29-Dec-14 23:11:28

PS I didn't mean to imply that your DS will become a bully- I was "thinking aloud" about how your DH would react to similar behaviour in others. I hope I haven't added to your upset. thanks

Queenofknickers Mon 29-Dec-14 23:13:28

But if we separate there would be times/weekends when they would be alone with him. At least if I'm here I can do my best to intervene and stand up for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now