Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Are dating sites the best way to go

(5 Posts)
loganberry12 Mon 29-Dec-14 08:19:01

Is it best to join a paid dating site so you know they are serious? I don't really go out so thought maybe this would be a good way of meeting someone but I've heard a few horror stories. A friend also suggested speed dating what's your opinion?

I used a paid site for awhile. You certainly need a thick skin.

Have you been on the dating threads on here? Lots of helpful advice.

I'd try lots of avenues. There's pros and cons to them all tbh

FolkGirl Mon 29-Dec-14 09:35:27

I was on a paid site for a while. I found it good for ensuring you always had a date for a Saturday night, if you wanted one, and good as a bit of a confidence boost.

But as a way to meet someone? I'm not so sure. It started to feel a bit fake, forced and soulless. I wouldn't do it again.

Is there a way you can start going out? Or find a hobby or something?

vintagecrap Mon 29-Dec-14 09:42:01

Paid sites don't tend to be any better than free ones. Mostly the same people are on both, because why wouldn't you be on the free one, it's free.

A paid site doesn't mean they are any more serious, or nor likely to be married or that you will avoid the cock shots.

I've online dated a lot. It's a bit of a necessary evil as it is hard to meet people in real life, more so if you are a single parent with limited money/time. But, if you are going to do it, grow a very thick skin, take everything with a pinch of salt and try to get out there on real life too.

FolkGirl Mon 29-Dec-14 09:42:24

Just seen it's you, loganberry.

If I were you, I'd be making sure I was in the perfect place before thinking of dating again. OD can be horrendous if you're feeling at all vulnerable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now