Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

what is this ring!?

(48 Posts)
silverandblack Sat 27-Dec-14 19:55:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FelicityGubbins Sat 27-Dec-14 20:02:13

Call it whatever you want, commitment ring maybe? and congratulations on your new baby smile

lostprince Sat 27-Dec-14 20:03:36

You need to ask him if this means he is asking you to marry him, otherwise how do you know what you are agreeing to by wearing it?

mrscumberbatch Sat 27-Dec-14 20:09:17

I wouldn't give a toss. I'm happy to receive jewellery with no hidden agendas whatsoever.

jingles overflowing jewellery box

Seriously though, I get bought a lot of jewellery. I am not engaged and I never feel the need to justify it to anybody. It's their problem, not yours if they don't get it.

GingerbreadPudding Sat 27-Dec-14 20:11:32

If you're wearing the ring you choose how it's perceived by what finger you put it on surely?

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 27-Dec-14 20:14:13

Either a promise ring or a present for having your baby (congrats btw)

I got a ring for each DD smile

coolaschmoola Sat 27-Dec-14 20:15:13

Maternity ring?!

Viviennemary Sat 27-Dec-14 20:16:38

If he hasn't said I'd just treat it as a present.

Fluffyears Sat 27-Dec-14 21:02:17

Been engaged for 6 years so I am part of one of 'those couples' we wanted to buy a home first etc and marriage whilst important is not on the agenda yet.

GoodArvo Sat 27-Dec-14 21:23:47

What do you mean a blessing rather than a legal wedding?

RaisingMen Sat 27-Dec-14 21:37:21

Which finger do you wear it on?

RaisingMen Sat 27-Dec-14 21:37:48

And huge congratulations on your baby!

Wrapdress Sat 27-Dec-14 21:41:18

Maybe it's a Push Present? But I guess he would have identified it as such if it was that.

ScrambledeggLDCcakeBOAK Sat 27-Dec-14 23:37:03

Iv had 2 engagement rings! From dp.

Been engaged for 9 years not even thought about actually having a wedding or even setting a date!

He proposed while my father was dying (even though we both knew at the time a wedding was way way too soon) it's was his way of showing me he was committed to a real future with me even in the hard times. Then about 5 years later he upgraded the engagement ring.

We are committed and will prob get married one day but no one is hurrying us!

I'm a bit worried in case you're planning not to get legally married. I think it would be wise, even if you do it on the quiet.

The ring sounds lovely. Double congratulations! What a Christmas, eh fsmile

When people ask, you can say "not exactly" and be all mysterious. Or you can say Yes, but we haven't set a date. Or you can say it's a 'present from the baby'. Your choice!

BehindLockNumberNine Sat 27-Dec-14 23:50:08

Dh bought me a beautiful ring many years before we were ready to get married.
I wore it on my right hand ring finger until we got engaged, then I moved it

He called it my 'I love you I am committed to you' ring.

CalleighDoodle Sat 27-Dec-14 23:52:06

If he didnt propose it is not an engagement ring. Its a gift.
Or push present.

JeanSeberg Sat 27-Dec-14 23:55:12

So a push presen

JeanSeberg Sat 27-Dec-14 23:55:42

A push present is an actual thing?

hehehahahoho Sat 27-Dec-14 23:59:16

I'd just call it a present.

forumdonkey Sun 28-Dec-14 02:26:36

I must be getting old confused You have just committed a connection to your DP for life by having a baby together and a ring and what to call it is worrying you? For me a child with someone is the biggest commitment, even when you are not together (like me) they are always going to be part of your life through your child, even when they are grown.

Congratulations on your baby btw

silverandblack Sun 28-Dec-14 07:18:37

silverandblack Sun 28-Dec-14 07:31:38

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 28-Dec-14 07:39:52

Well congratulations are due on all.counts! What an exciting time for you!

PS. HTC phone by any chance? I also have an ongoing full stop battle.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 28-Dec-14 07:42:35

Push present = modern equivalent of eternity ring but not necessarily a ring and not necessarily the third part of a 'wedding-engagement-eternity' 4th finger knuckle duster

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now