Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Got a duff present? Commiserate here.

(75 Posts)
Deckthehallswithdesperation Fri 26-Dec-14 10:30:18

Anyone get a duff present yesterday? Share it with us here and we can all have a good Boxing Day giggle. Sadly, I received nothing at all frm my dh, he 'forgot'. My best friend can go one better however, an avid knitter & reader, got £300 of Agent Provocateur vouchers frm her dh. She's intending to spend much of that on a knitted 'penis' cardie - not what her dh had in mind. So what did you get? Can anyone top that?

FolkGirl Fri 26-Dec-14 11:15:50

Don't knitters and avid readers do sexy then?

I get that she might not like them, but don't get what reading and knitting have to do with it...

FolkGirl Fri 26-Dec-14 11:17:03

I'll have the vouchers if she doesn't want them!

Have nothing else to add. Didn't get any presents. No one to get any from!

rumred Fri 26-Dec-14 11:23:09

a scent diffuser that my lovely friend insisted I open meaning its harder to flog on ebay. I found it very very hard to hide my disappointment

Deserttrek Fri 26-Dec-14 11:27:48

Hands up. I am the guilty party here...fblush
Bought DW a pair of riding boots.....
Exactly same pair I bought her for her birthday.....
I need a holiday.....

spinduchess Fri 26-Dec-14 11:28:15

£300 of Agent Provocatuer is a lovely, generous gift.

No duff ones here, DH bought me a beautiful handbag. Even PIL got me lovely pyjamas. I am a very happy lady.

Dragonlette Fri 26-Dec-14 11:37:34

It's only lovely and generous if it's something she wants. I'd be horrified at getting that, it's just not my cup of tea at all. I'd love £300 of book vouchers or a load of yarn for knitting though.

I didn't get a lot of stuff, some earphones and some chocolates, but I'm happy with that.

LakelandLassie Fri 26-Dec-14 11:39:13

A paper shredder.

MistAndAWeepingRain Fri 26-Dec-14 11:42:19

I love reading and knitting - does that rule me out as a sexual being then? Shame. I could have had a lot of fun with £300 of AP vouchers.

Aimey Fri 26-Dec-14 11:46:19

Thumper fleecey pyjamas from Disney.
I'm mid-40s, not 12, from my sister-in-law.
She has never seen me in any form of novelty clothing, not even when I was 12 (she knew me then). Straight to charity shop (who will benefit nicely).

GothMummy Fri 26-Dec-14 11:46:21

Ok, Im very aware that some people on MN have had no presents at all and I should be greatful, but does anyone else's DH get them presents which are really (I assume) meant for the DCs?

I had asked for pajamas, wellies, bird food/bird feeders and maybe some fairy lights and perfume. I was not expecting all of it but those were on my "santa list". I got a Furreal walking Pony toy!! In a rather bemused way I passed it on to my DD who loves it. Shes 3.

For my 37 birthday where I asked for a camping so

GothMummy Fri 26-Dec-14 11:49:03

Ooops phone failure, meant to say that for my 37 birthday I asked for a camping stove and plants for the garden. He got me a huge lego set. DS (9) was delighted.

Someone help me, whats going on here?

uggmum Fri 26-Dec-14 11:50:45

I love my mil, really I do. But why does she buy all the women in the family an identical present. All 5 of us aged between 15-47 all received the same fluffy lounge top from primark.

She was keen to loudly check that mine would fit as its a 14-16 and everyone else had 10-12. But then I am the fattest.

We are all different people, why would we want the same thing. It just annoys me. She also got me a random, brown long sleeved pyjama top that I will never wear. Free to a good home!

TidyDancer Fri 26-Dec-14 11:55:41

GothMummy - I am very much of the school of thought that you should be grateful for whatever you get, but that is weird! Have you never asked why he buys for you like that?!

BalloonSlayer Fri 26-Dec-14 11:55:59

Gothmummy do you think he took the DCs along to help him choose your present, and so they obviously chose something they really thought was fab?

GothMummy Fri 26-Dec-14 12:02:51

TidyDancer - I think that I should be grateful too and have made all the right noises while being very mystified. He used to be good at presents but the last couple of years all my gifts have been toys.

BalloonSlayer - thats a possibility and does make me feel slightly better, thankyou.

But I also got some smaller presents that were toys and children's books! I have quietly put them in the present box
for upcoming birthdays

spinduchess Fri 26-Dec-14 12:03:40

Gothmummy That is really unusual - DH would never dream of buying me a children's toy.

You're not a brony are you?

TidyDancer Fri 26-Dec-14 12:09:17

Gothmummy - I didn't mean to suggest that you were being ungrateful, sorry if I implied that. blush That is just so utterly bizarre that I can't imagine opening something like that and not having a look of complete bewilderment on my face! BalloonSlayer might have it though, I bet that's what happens. Surely even with that though, you'd think your DH would let his common sense kick in?!

Justatoe Fri 26-Dec-14 12:10:03

My ST bought me a box of chocs. A nice gift from someone who doesn't know me well, but he does know that I like to keep fit & always battling weight loss so is a gift I really don't welcome!

losthermind Fri 26-Dec-14 12:10:05

mil got me a lynx set !!!!!!!!
I bought her a lovely coat, a voucher to get her nails done and some earrings
Oh well I suppose you don't give to recieve

Justatoe Fri 26-Dec-14 12:10:26

*STBX

findingherfeet Fri 26-Dec-14 12:10:59

I asked DH not to buy me a fluffy dressing gown, he's bought me many over the years but I'm not keen on the fluff, cotton or toweling would be lovely thanks.

He was good he didn't...he bought a super fluffy pj top and matching fluffy slippers, both pink!! Oh well I might look like a sweaty ball of marshmallow fluff but his hearts in the right place 'they're so soft and warm!!'

Theredandthewhite Fri 26-Dec-14 12:12:37

So so so so so many toiletry gift sets.

Dove x 2

Body shop

Lush

Soap and Glory

Theredandthewhite Fri 26-Dec-14 12:13:45

Oh and a pink leopard print fluffy dressing gown.

I wear black, dove grey and silver 95% of the time

Gaia81 Fri 26-Dec-14 12:22:16

At least you could sell on Agent Provocateur vouchers, could have been worse could have been a pair of £300 knickers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now