Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Pulling away from kids

(8 Posts)
Justasitis Fri 19-Dec-14 20:26:52

For those with experience is it the case that as partners emotionally separate ie the marriage breaks down that the father of the kids also pulls away from the kids. ?? Barely acknowledging them

misskangaandroo2014 Fri 19-Dec-14 20:29:45

That suggests they're an unfeeling arse really. Kids are hardly at fault nor is the relationship of 'father' is not affected (in depth) by being an ex h. Any emotional pulling away from everyone sounds like depression / stress

Joysmum Fri 19-Dec-14 20:42:08

When friends of ours split, he pulled away.

He was hurting but he honestly thought they were better off without him for a bit as she and the kids were obviously upset. He thought it was with them rather than the situation.

Of course they weren't talking so he didn't know he was wrong sad

Things worked out in the end and they are happily divorced and co-parenting. It was tough at the time though.

Justasitis Fri 19-Dec-14 20:44:23

Yes I wondered if it was depression or just sheer selfishness. Might add he's not exactly hands on but to be tired 'to be around them' yet he can engage with others on his phone or surfing. All a bit yucky. I'm airing on side of pure selfishness

Meerka Fri 19-Dec-14 20:45:34

bluntly, yeah it is. Not personal experience with a partner but with various fathers (don't ask) and several friends. Man moves on, he leaves the children behind.

A few are shining and outstanding exceptions. And there can be women who block men from seeing their children from spite which is appallingly sad and wrong.

jonrotten Fri 19-Dec-14 20:46:18

My ex pulled away from ds. He's very selfish though.

FolkGirl Fri 19-Dec-14 20:51:47

My ex didn't pull away from the children. He's still very much a dad to them and I facilitate it, and encourage it (eg suggesting they phone to share an achievement).

It's working well to the extent that he pays maintenance for a child that isn't biologically his (my son) because he is the only dad my son has ever known and loves them equally.

He has many flaws, but he loves his children unconditionally.

Windywenceslas Fri 19-Dec-14 21:13:21

My DF left the country when DM left. He never came back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now