Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

'Coercive Control' outlawed

(7 Posts)
CogitOIOIO Thu 18-Dec-14 13:28:44

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30532087

Devil is in the detail and it's going to require quite a few test cases, but I think having this on the statute books should give hope to victims of non-physically violent abuse. Now if we can just get around the thorny problem of needing the victim to testify and give the police the power to prosecute regardless, that would be excellent.

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 18-Dec-14 13:51:59

This is great because even if it doesn't result in many prosecutions, it will make people aware that this behaviour is wrong. I wish the legislation had been in place when I was in a coercive controlling relationship, because I didn't know it was wrong.

PoppyField Thu 18-Dec-14 13:58:51

Just seen a report on BBC 1 o'clock news that totally missed the point. The introduction was all about non-violent abuse and the filmed report was all about violence. Rubbish.

No attempt to explain more subtle forms of abuse and just reverted to the usual stories of broken bottles and being pushed downstairs by an abusive partner (Of course these stories do need telling, I absolutely concur with that, but this was on a headline about 'coercive control'). How is anyone going to get this if even the BBC social affairs reporters don't actually get it. Nomia Iqbal, be ashamed of yourself!

And of course they featured two case studies - a woman and (you've guessed it) a man, because of course, as any fule kno, domestic violence is 50/50 on the gender split. Grrrrrrr!

CogitOIOIO Thu 18-Dec-14 14:02:01

Yes, it could be like the new proposed legislation outlawing smoking in cars with children i.e. not many actual prosecutions but a clear message that the behaviour is not acceptable. If the Coercive Control law helps someone get from 'is this normal?', to knowing it's illegal, to feeling entitled to ask for help, it might even save lives. As the recent Panorama prog (spookily prescient with the timing there BBC.. smile ) pointed out, even in relationships where violence is not a factor, those that featured coercive control often result in homicide.

CogitOIOIO Thu 18-Dec-14 14:05:46

@Poppyfield.... I feel a 'Cog Special' letter to the Beeb may be in order.... Physical DV is a terrible problem, shouldn't happen, but at least it has a certain visibility and 'man on the Clapham Omnibus' understanding. Non-Physical Domestic Abuse IMHO is arguably more prevalent, much less well understood and causes a different but very serious type of damage.

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 18-Dec-14 16:00:02

Yes the behaviour is not acceptable and it isn't the fault of the abuser's partner, it's their fault and it's a crime.

PoppyField Thu 18-Dec-14 16:06:55

Oooh I like the idea of a 'Cog Special'. Normal Cog is pretty marvellous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now