Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Christmas card finding it hard.

(6 Posts)
notmrscookie Tue 16-Dec-14 05:43:27

Husband had an affair and left in September . He found new women end of October . They are living together now. Awaiting divorce to get going and will need to move . He is hardly doing anything with kids or divorce .Am finding it upsetting opening cards with we wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year .neither of which have any remote chance of happening. Feel rude for not opening in front of giver but I just can't fake it . Help.

Lovingfreedom Tue 16-Dec-14 06:03:29

There's no shame in feeling sad and your friends will understand. It's early days....be kind to yourself. X

demoska1 Tue 16-Dec-14 09:36:39

Believe me it does get better. I looked at all the cards and reminded myself that I have family and friends who genuinely care. The t**t that hurt me has none. Be kind to yourself.

heyday Tue 16-Dec-14 16:32:56

Have a happy Christmas have a happy New Year. They are just platitudes. I had to send a card to an elderly lady who recently lost her husband of 60 years. How the hell do I wish her a bloody happy Christmas? It's probably going to be the worse one of her life and yet I feel totally crap if I don't send her a Christmas card as no doubt she wants life to have some normality about it.
No doubt this will be a difficult Christmas for you too but people are hoping that you have a happier year next year and you can hope for that too because without hope we are pretty doomed.

Drumdrum60 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:01:01

The thing is you are being rude to your friends and what's the point in that when you'll need them all the more in the near future. Value their best wishes and give them a kiss. They want you to be happy.

It's only a card. You would be more hurt if they didn't bother because of your circumstances. They can't win.

The person to be rude to is your selfish dh. But don't waste your energy.

Drumdrum60 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:02:12

Fake it till you make it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now