Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

AIBU to want my christmas tree back?

(286 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AnotherRandom Sat 13-Dec-14 19:49:19

I am shaking with rage at the moment. My husband has taken down the Christmas tree. There is a back story which I have to give.

I have always celebrated Christmas even though I'm not a Christian. I love this time of the year, it is my favourite. My family have always done the celebrations so to me it is normal and part of life.

He converted to Islam over a year ago and told me yesterday that either I take the tree down or he will. This is because he said it is a pagan tradition (I know it's origins) and idol worship to have it in the house and it is against his religion.

I explained to him, felt more like justify to him, my choice but he wouldn't agree.

I returned home to find it gone. It's nowhere to be found in the house. I've checked the garage, loft, shed and any place I could think of. I don't know what he's done with it. I am so upset sad

Aibu to want to have the tree up? I even tried to compromise and said I would only have it up for a week in December. He said no. My daughter was confused and asked where the tree has gone sad she helped me decorate it this year too and it's all gone. What a shit day.

adsy Sat 13-Dec-14 19:50:56

What a twat.

HamPortCourt Sat 13-Dec-14 19:52:35

YANBU

Is he a wanker in other ways?

LaChatte Sat 13-Dec-14 19:53:22

I'd say the tree is the least of your problems.

bozo14 Sat 13-Dec-14 19:53:36

Yanbu how rude of him

Apophenia Sat 13-Dec-14 19:54:48

While he's sleeping, cover him in tinsel and baubles - maybe he'll disappear without a trace too.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 13-Dec-14 19:55:04

Whatever your religion it is not reasonable to decide to do something to hurt the other

That is your problem, he overrode your wishes and prioritised his religiosity over his marriage

Will he talk about it with you ? His imam will not encourage this and will tell him to compromise with his wife

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sat 13-Dec-14 19:56:01

I would question my relationship over this.

Christmas is important to you, I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas because I enjoy it. To me there is not religious element and it's about good food, wine, spending time with friends and family and exchanging gifts.

I would ask him how he would feel if you took down Mubarak eid decorations.

youlookbeautifultonight Sat 13-Dec-14 19:56:26

Aphopenia I just chocked on my cereal with laughter reading thatgrin

wowfudge Sat 13-Dec-14 19:56:41

Is this the only thing he has put his foot down about since converting? And I mean for you and your daughter to do, or does he impose his beliefs in other areas?

It does sound rather over the top if you are not a muslim. You might want to have this thread moved to relationships btw.

wanttosqueezeyou Sat 13-Dec-14 19:57:06

YANBU.

He's a knob. Sounds like this could be the beginning of many problems (or maybe its not the beginning?)

I also disagree that its an idol. Its just a decoration.

Gawjushun Sat 13-Dec-14 19:57:11

There's certainly more to this than the tree. I wouldn't be happy if DH suddenly decided to subscribe to a whole new set of beliefs and push them on the family.

I have a couple of Muslim friends and they have the tree, pressies etc. I suppose converts tend to be a bit more into their chosen religion though.

TheEnchantedForest Sat 13-Dec-14 19:58:53

Yep-another one saying you have more troubles than the tree
YANBU

lemisscared Sat 13-Dec-14 19:59:21

confused

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Sat 13-Dec-14 20:03:07

The missing tree is the least of your problems.

The missing respect that DH should have for you is a massive red flag.

He is a selfish, intolerant, arse man.
You need to seriously reevaluate your relationship.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 13-Dec-14 20:03:36

Even if it's about the tree for him he has the wrong end of the stick (see what I did there) about Islam.

You make decisions about the home in Islam and he submits to them, public decisions outside the home are made by him. Islam is about equality (though not how I understand it)

So first of all a good Imam would tell him to go home and compromise with his wife and put his marriage first.

And a more Orthodox imam would tell him to piss off and it was her house and to do what he's told grin

So if neither of the above applies he's just being a twat and not religious, and is instead using it as a control thing.

AnotherRandom Sat 13-Dec-14 20:06:20

Thanks for the replies.

Our relationship has had ups and downs. He can be great and I enjoy his company, but when he is not getting his way or something has annoyed him, life is hard. He is quite particular about certain things, likes to be in control. In fact he told me the other day that successful relationships have one person who is the 'boss'. I honestly couldn't believe the bullshit which followed.

He finds it tough with me because I have my own opinion which often doesn't match his own and this bothers him. He even told me once that if I were more meek then things would be easier hmm I don't understand as he knew who I was when we married (5yrs ago) and we've been together for 10!

How would I get this moved to relationships?

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 13-Dec-14 20:10:22

What other compromises do you and your daughter have to make now and in the future for this man?

Complete deal breaker.

minibmw2010 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:19:28

What was he like before converting? Is your DD his DD?

AnotherRandom Sat 13-Dec-14 20:24:01

It's our DD. He's her dad.

Thinking about it, he's always had this need to control even before converting. It's just now his religion supersedes everything else. I know for a fact his religion is more important than me, he told me being close to God is very important to him.

Laurie I wish his imam told him to talk with his wife!!! Who knows if he's even spoken to anyone.

AlpacaLypse Sat 13-Dec-14 20:28:06

To get this moved to Relationships, use the Report button under your own original post and use the handy box in the screen that will come up next to explain what you want. HQ are normally 100% fine about it and expedite it as quickly as they can.

lunar1 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:29:28

That would be moving the goalposts way too far for me to stay in a relationship.

Goingintohibernation Sat 13-Dec-14 20:31:38

How old is your DD? Does he not think cancelling Christmas is somewhat unfair on her as well as you, or do her feelings not matter either?

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Sat 13-Dec-14 20:34:09

Surely your relationship is over now? You can't continue with someone who has such different views to you and who is so inflexible and entitled about trampling all over your feelings and wishes? And your daughter's?

Fabulous46 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:39:30

I wouldn't tolerate this behaviour. A marriage to me is both parties have equal opinions. You have offered a compromise by only having the tree up for a week any he obviously doesn't like that. He also said if you were "meek things would be easier." I'd be walking away after that comment I'm afraid. I'm happy for my DH to be a different religion to me BUT I would never allow it to impact on my life or my children's lives. Likewise, I wouldn't expect my religion to impact on DH's life or that of my children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now