Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How much did you spend on him?

(22 Posts)
Mumtobenovember Sat 06-Dec-14 13:52:06

Just wondered how much you spent on you dh's and dp's this Christmas? I bought my partner a 500 watch and my mum thinks it's ridiculous!
We have been together 4 years always been skint at Christmas and we have had a shit year our dd was born 3 months prem and spent time in nicu and now we have finally found our feet and are a happy little family and not skint- is this too much? I just thought It was really nice as he's always wanted this watch. Now I feel bad and like I spent to much?

CogitOIOIO Sat 06-Dec-14 14:02:15

About £40.

Lucy90 Sat 06-Dec-14 14:02:56

Ive spent £50 on OH and he will spend the same on me.
We are due to have our first baby in a couple of weeks and this is all we can stretch to this year.

velourvoyageur Sat 06-Dec-14 14:18:51

I bet it makes you happy though doesn't it? And I'm sure he'll love it and appreciate it a lot. It's a token to mark a happy ending isn't it. Stuff negative people!

I wouldn't personally spend £500 on a watch but I'm sure you wouldn't spend what I spend on some of the things I like either, so it should be a non issue really.

Congratulations on your lovely baby and I'm glad things are working out for you finally.

Oh just seen that he's always wanted this watch, well then of course by all means! Some people buy big houses, some people spend loads on skiing or horses or whatnot.....and that's fine. Don't let your mum spoil it, enjoy the prospect of seeing his face when he opens it :-)

Mumtobenovember Sat 06-Dec-14 14:22:28

Thanksgrin
I have a feeling he's got me a ring for Xmas so I guess it won't be like he's embarrassed of my extreme gift ��

FelicityGubbins Sat 06-Dec-14 14:23:15

If I had £500 to spend on my DH I would spend it happily. I don't have £500 so he's getting a box of fererro richer and a blow job...

dirtybadger Sat 06-Dec-14 14:28:23

I wouldn't ever spend �500 on a gift unless it was something like a holiday. I've never had much money, though, so am a tight wad. I would probably be telling someone �500 for a watch was ludicrous/gross (IMO it is) but it's not my money so they'd probably tell me to do one and I'd have to listen.

Onmyownwith4kids Sat 06-Dec-14 14:45:09

I think it's lovely that you've got something he really wants. It's something that he'll have as a constant reminder of your first Christmas with the baby after a difficult year. How you spend your money is up to you and it sounds like he'll love it

Mumtobenovember Sat 06-Dec-14 14:45:58

That's a great present felicity haha!
I've never spent this much as ever been able to but I saved !

Fluffyears Sat 06-Dec-14 15:19:43

If you can afford it and the sentiment sounds lovely then go for it. He'll love it. Me and Dp usually send a couple of hundred including a night away but this year it is token items as we have a big holiday in January to save for. I got him two t-shirts and chocolate coins (always get him coins it's a tradition).

bonkersLFDT20 Sat 06-Dec-14 15:25:02

Nothing yet, Xmas is still a few weeks away. I would never spend that much on my husband, but it's none of my business what others spend and no one needs to justify anything.

Leviticus Sat 06-Dec-14 15:27:42

About £200 on various things, clothes mainly.

Your gift sounds lovely. If he will love it for years and you can afford it it's not a waste.

InfinitySeven Sat 06-Dec-14 15:29:01

I usually spend a bit... A few hundred, typically. But it's his birthday, too, and he has expensive tastes! I save through the year and get bargains when I can.

I don't have anything this year. I feel terrible.

MissMogwi Sat 06-Dec-14 15:30:21

It doesn't matter if it's £5 or £500, it's your money, it's your business.

If your mum's not paying, tell her to keep her beak out!

FWIW I haven't bought my DP anything yet. I haven't got a clue what to buy him!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 06-Dec-14 15:30:45

It is an awful lot, but if you feel happy spending it then that's fine.

We normally spend about £200 on each other, that includes stocking bits etc.

Wherehasmysleepgone Sat 06-Dec-14 15:34:39

£50 but I'm on mat leave so bit skint! We haven't spent on each other for last few years due to being skint but years before that we would spend quite a bit so if you wanna spend 500 quid spend it - I know my do would appreciate it if it was me smile

Mumtobenovember Sat 06-Dec-14 15:39:11

Thanks everyone! My mum said because I'm on mat leave I should be sensible but I had 200 saved for it and was paid a full wage for two months so I though WHY NOT I feel a bit better now I just haven't ever bought anything that expensive! Thanks everyone for your replies x

Joysmum Sat 06-Dec-14 15:51:40

I spend what I can afford if there's something I think he'll appreciate. Tbh, I don't add up what I spend on everyone unless I'm on a budget. £500 to one person might be the equivilent of £20 to somebody else so it's not really worth comparing your spending to others smile

Chottie Sat 06-Dec-14 15:57:28

I think it's lovely idea too. Enjoy your Christmas and I'm glad that life is on the up for you. smile

NoRoomAtTheGin Sat 06-Dec-14 20:21:37

Hopefully every time he looks at it, it will remind him of you and your lovely baby and the journey you have both had this year.

acidteddy Sat 06-Dec-14 23:23:37

I've spent about £130, on about 7 different things. I could afford more but there's not much more I can think of to get him, plus he has a January birthday so I don't want to use up all my gift ideas in one go! He probably spends a bit more on me (but that is partly because he's less of a savvy shopper, some of my bits were ebay snipes which could have cost loads more).

I think if it is something he's always wanted then it's a lovely idea.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 06-Dec-14 23:26:06

No idea, havent even thought about it yet.

Wouldnt spend that much, ever - to be honest. But then we are not religious. Nor short of cash. And we like it that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now