Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Too much food on my plate!

(43 Posts)
Azzak Thu 04-Dec-14 21:54:25

DH does all the cooking. I've asked a few times not to put too much food on my plate... I prefer smaller sized portions and to go back for more if I'm still hungry. A comment I made last night about feeling too full after eating yet another massive meal led to big row.

DH insists I just don't eat what I don't want and leave the rest. Which then gets binned. If it's on the plate I tend to try finish the whole plate. In the past I've never had problems in managin my weight cos I used to run and cylcle and gym but Im really struggling at the moment and the feeling of being too full every evening is very ugh

He says all he wants to do is to please me.

Am I being unreasonable to ask for smaller portion to be served?

Norest Thu 04-Dec-14 21:57:08

Get up. Take your plate to the kitchen. Remove the food you don't want.

Eat the portion size that suits you.

Or you know, serve your own food onto your plate.

confused

luckiestgirlintheworld Thu 04-Dec-14 21:58:52

Is this a joke?

lemisscared Thu 04-Dec-14 22:03:41

dish up your own dinner?

Joysmum Thu 04-Dec-14 22:16:39

I'd tell him that what pleases you isn't the same as what pleases him.

I'd do as Norest suggested. Every time, take the plate out to the kitchen and leave the portion that's appropriate on your plate.

If you do that each time he should stop being such a feeder.

When I lost my weight, I swapped to a smaller plate that could be over loaded and had a measure for rice etc to help me learn my new portions. Maybe thus would help your DH ?

TheBatteriesHaveRunOut Thu 04-Dec-14 22:24:56

What Norest said.

Onlly I'd dump it on his plate. If he complains, say all you want to do is please him.

gamerchick Thu 04-Dec-14 22:30:26

Why are you eating it?

The husband doesn't plate up my food much now because I can't eat a large portion. He wouldn't and isn't offended by me plating my own. Just plate your own or scrape off what you don't want for another day.

It's bizarre to eat until you feel full up just because somebody else dished up your portion.

HadleyHemingway Thu 04-Dec-14 22:46:25

Have you considered not eating it all and leaving some??

AnyFucker Thu 04-Dec-14 22:53:31

is he a feeder ? hmm

does he force it down your throat ?

stop being silly and just eat the food you want

Millli Thu 04-Dec-14 22:56:57

Your DH has said eat what you want and leave the rest. That's normal isn't it? He doesn't know how hungry you will be .

TinyWishes Thu 04-Dec-14 23:05:17

When you are full take plate to kitchen and put in Tupperware for lunch the next day.

SnookyPooky Fri 05-Dec-14 07:29:07

My husband does this and it has caused many a row. I take off what I don't want and go back for seconds after if I'm still hungry.
He is definitely not a feeder, just thoughtless about portions.
The amount he gives me is sometimes ridiculous. He is getting better though.

Meirasa Fri 05-Dec-14 08:01:35

Azzak take responsibility for what you eat. You chose to clear the plate- seriously no one is forcing you to finish a plate of food and then complain about being overfull. So he's over generous, how lucky are you that he cooks and serves?

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 05-Dec-14 08:27:52

how lucky are you that he cooks and serves?

I'm presuming that the OP does do her share of the chores! It isn't luck that he cooks, it is a fair division of chores.

OP - my OH always plates up twice what I want when he cooks. I leave half, and put it in the fridge for breakfast or lunch the next day. It always tastes nicer the next day anyway...

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 05-Dec-14 08:32:29

Just leave some! I always give dh loads as I don't know how much he'll want knowing he can leave some of it. It's not a big thing really

peggyundercrackers Fri 05-Dec-14 08:43:25

why do you try to eat all the food on the plate if you know its too much? this is nothing to do with your DHs behaviour...

Meirasa Fri 05-Dec-14 08:47:22

FunkyBoldRibena- I'm presuming that the OP does do her share of the chores! It isn't luck that he cooks, it is a fair division of chores.

TBH If someone showed me so little gratitude about the way I fulfilled my share of the chores I would tell them to do it themselves if they can do better. That's why I think she's lucky, not because he's doing it at all but because he's still doing it despite her acting like an incapable complaining child.

EssexMummy123 Fri 05-Dec-14 08:53:39

Use a smaller plate?

Goingintohibernation Fri 05-Dec-14 08:57:51

My DH does the same, just eat until you are full, then stop. Or as someone else said, take over dishing up your own food. Maybe you could suggest to your DH that he puts the food in the middle of the table so you can each serve yourselves if that would prevent arguments?

loveareadingthanks Fri 05-Dec-14 09:15:46

DP tends to give me too much as well, and unfortunately he grew up in a 'clear your plate' household so if I didn't finish everything he'd think I didn't like the food and feel hurt. He couldn't understand that as a man, and one with a job that involves quite physical stuff, he needs more food than me as a woman with a sedentary office job. If I eat as much as him, I'll put on a lot of weight. It's taken me a couple of years to get him over that and to understand that when I eat less than him, I'm not dieting, I'm not trying to be all feminine and impress him (he's had a girlfriend in the past who'd pick and fuss for effect) I'm enjoying my food, just eating what is normal for me.

So many of us attach emotions to food. You are another 'must clear the plate' person. Why? Take responsibility for how much you eat. Had enough? Stop. He is a person who also attaches emotions to food - he sees it as a way of caring for you and a nice thing to do to give you a loaded plate. He needs to see that he is pleasing himself with this, not you at all.

On the practical side, we now have two different size plates from the same set. He tends to eat from the larger ones, I tend to eat from the smaller ones. That way we both have a 'plate-full' but different amounts. Sometimes I'll plate my own food up when he's cooked, or I'll go into kitchen when he is plating up and tell him how much I want. But he's learned to lay off with the portions by himself.

I also stop eating when I've had enough. He's learned to do that as well, which is obviously better for your health and comfort. Part of this was not wanting to waste food in the bin. Well, it's wasted just as much if you've had to force yourself to eat, haven't enjoyed it, feel uncomfortably full and ruined your meal, and it's just turning into fat you don't want. That's even more of a waste. Is this how you feel about food you leave behind?

jasper Fri 05-Dec-14 09:42:13

OP I sympathise greatly , and I get it!
just keep telling him.He should get the message eventually.
sounds like he needs to actually prepare less food. Food waste is a terrible thing.

CheersMedea Fri 05-Dec-14 11:07:51

In our house we put the food into serving dishes and help ourselves - so a big bowl of salad with serving spoons etc.

Can you try to move to this system?

It does have a cost advantage because it means that left over food is "uncontaminated" as it were because it's in serving dishes and easy to put in the fridge and keep for re-heating/re-use.

If you want to wind him up, tell him plated up food served not in a restaurant is lower class and very common!!! wink (Beans and sausages slopped onto plate).

Jan45 Fri 05-Dec-14 17:26:46

Do your own plate, seriously, don't let him do it if he can't stop himself from heaving on too much food, let him get fat, you don't have to, my ex used to do this, I've since lost half a stone now he's gone.

Jan45 Fri 05-Dec-14 17:28:49

how lucky are you that he cooks and serves?

Really....

TheCowThatLaughs Fri 05-Dec-14 17:48:00

It sounds like he's try to make you eat more than you want/need and then gets angry with you when you object? Doesn't sound good to me. And he tries to dress it up as wanting to please you?
Sounds a bit like a feeder and a gaslighter to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now