Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Being tracked down on social media by former friends

(12 Posts)
teddyoftherare Wed 03-Dec-14 12:36:26

When I was younger I was very depressed, abusive family issues, etc.

Spent time with a lot of emotional vampires, people I had nothing in common with, just would feel very, very down after spending even a brief period of time with them.

I moved away from the lot of them YEARS ago. Best decision ever.

Occasionally, I'll get tracked down by one of them

(I'm fairly "hidden" they've obviously gone to a lot of effort to find me hmm)

What is the response recommended? The trouble is, they're the type who tend to say "the reason you aren't in touch with us is you have ISSUES you're obligated to get in touch with us". I have nothing in common with them now and do not want to share information, give any details of my life to them, it creeps me out.

GoatsDoRoam Wed 03-Dec-14 12:38:04

What is the response recommended?

Ignore.
Just complete and utter silence.
Don't even read their messages - they didn't make you feel good then, they're not going to make you feel good now.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Wed 03-Dec-14 12:39:12

Ignore them, delete all messages unread, block them.

It's that easy.

Frenchfemme Wed 03-Dec-14 12:39:56

Block and ignore. You are NOT obliged to get in touch, give any information or give a flying fuck about their precious opinions. Well done for getting rid of such draining individuals.

teddyoftherare Wed 03-Dec-14 12:41:29

Is it worth sending a message to someone who makes a point of mentioning me in a very identifiable manner, putting photos of me on here Twitter about 7 years after I saw her in person? (and as soon as she contacted me on Linkedin etc I deleted account and ignored her messages)

Frenchfemme Wed 03-Dec-14 12:41:42

btw they were never your friends.

donkir Wed 03-Dec-14 12:46:03

Like French said they were never your friends. I've had lots of ppl who severely bullied me at school who have tried to request me as friends and I have blocked and ignored. Only one out of about 20 has come up to me personally and apologised for how they treated me.
Block and ignore. You have moved on and have a great life now. They are probably still the same unfortunately.

IrishBloodEnglishHeart Wed 03-Dec-14 12:50:32

Is she posting photos very frequently, are they inappropriate or offensive, are they likely to cause trouble for you in your current life. If none of the above then ignore her, don't feed it. If they are offensive or could be considered as harassment then a brief message saying please cease posting these images or I will seek legal advice.

ouryve Wed 03-Dec-14 12:53:41

Ignore. Block if you can. Lock down your privacy settings where possible.

ouryve Wed 03-Dec-14 12:55:33

And agreeing with Irish about the photos. If it's being done enough that you feel harrassed by it, then call 101 for advice.

GoatsDoRoam Wed 03-Dec-14 13:18:09

Is it worth sending a message to someone who makes a point of mentioning me in a very identifiable manner, putting photos of me on here Twitter about 7 years after I saw her in person?

Unless the photos and mentions are abusive or offensive, I would just block, delete, ignore.
You are rewarding a pest with attention when you contact them to tell them to back off. They will just see it as an invitation. Don't fall into that trap. Delete, block, ignore.

IrishBloodEnglishHeart Wed 03-Dec-14 13:27:46

Yes, actually, having read ouryve and goats response. If it is harassment or makes you feel uncomfortable or threatened, Don't send her a message, better to call 101 first for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now