Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Have you ever snooped and been really touched by what you found?

(43 Posts)
makeitabetterplace Sun 30-Nov-14 17:05:06

Just thought it would be nice to have an upbeat relationships thread to perk up a dark evening.

I was putting husbands socks in his drawer and found a little photo album. Assumed it contained ex-girlfriend photos as it was hidden away. Of course I looked. There were such cute photos of his teenage years - bedroom full of remote control cars, daft bike tricks, goofy posing etc. just made me love him more.

brokenhearted55a Sun 30-Nov-14 17:42:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SelfLoathing Sun 30-Nov-14 17:46:51

How disappointing.

I read the title and thought it would be "I read an email where he told his [mother/buddy] how amazing I was".

Why would you be "touched" by a photo album of his childhood? His mum probably made it for him.

Bakeoffcakes Sun 30-Nov-14 17:49:24

Gosh Self that's a bit mean!

LynetteScavo Sun 30-Nov-14 17:53:35

Aww, that's sweet OP.

When I see photos of DHs teenage years I thank God I didn't meet him any earlier as I wouldn't have given him the time of day.

He did act suspiciously around his bedside table drawer earlier this year....which made me want to snoop.... I did fine an envelope with my name on, and lay in bed wondering what it could be. Turns out I'd forgotten our wedding anniversary, and he was hiding a very sweet card. blush

makeitabetterplace Sun 30-Nov-14 17:55:39

That IS mean. Why would it have to be all about me to be touching? I found it touching to see another side to him that I find every bit as endearing as the side I know. You need a good hug or something you grumpy thing.

I did also find the form we each filled in when we got married which our celebrant asked us for. He said lots of lovely things about me which were heart warming too.

I have in the past found evidence of cheating when I was with my ex. I do know the flip side but surely other people have found nice stuff too?

SelfLoathing Sun 30-Nov-14 17:56:59

Hardly Bakeoffcakes.

I'm just saying what I genuinely thought. The title is "really touched" so I thought it would be something moving about the DH and his relationship with his OP. It's the obvious implication of the really.

blueemerald Sun 30-Nov-14 17:59:20

I've eavesdropped and heard him saying nice things about me to his/our work friends. No that I would expect him to say horrible things of course but some of these guys are macho/no feelings types and I admire his non-sheepness.

WilsonWilsonWoman Sun 30-Nov-14 17:59:32

Years ago when we got engaged my American friend wrote the date of our engagement on a dollar bill and gave it to us to mark the occasion. I completely forgot about it and then found it last year in his man drawer folded up with a picture of me. blush

SelfLoathing Sun 30-Nov-14 18:01:01

Those are both cute stories blueemerald and Wilson

SelfLoathing Sun 30-Nov-14 18:03:11

Why would it have to be all about me to be touching? I found it touching to see another side to him that I find every bit as endearing as the side

Well it wouldn't have to be about you to be touching - could be about your kids or his kindness to his parents etc. But to describe finding a photo album as REALLY touching is a huge exaggeration.

I'd also be a bit perplexed as to how you could have married someone and not seen photos of his childhood/teenage years that are actually kept in your house. But that's a different point.

fairypond Sun 30-Nov-14 18:04:46

My DH often buys me multiple anniversary cards, because he keeps finding extra ones that he likes more. He hides them, but not very well.

What really is funny, is that he leaves the best ones hidden and sends me the one I wouldn't choose in a million years. It's sort of sweet, I think.

makeitabetterplace Sun 30-Nov-14 18:27:03

I guess I've never seen the photos as they're in his socks drawer and I don't normally go in there but he's away for the weekend so I'm putting his washing away. And I don't think it's over the top to find photos of him touching he is so cute as a gawky teenager.

Iwasnevermaryalwaysashepherd Sun 30-Nov-14 18:29:54

Years ago I was given a makeover in a woman's magazine - it was for breast cancer month- I had finished treAtment- they did a before and after article anyway the photos were stunning- even though I am not- lots of Photo shopping- I had amazing white teeth and porcelain skin and had mysteriously developed a cleavage( an impossibility after my surgery) my husband said I have put my favourite photo of you in my wallet but I always teased him about it saying- your friends will be so disappointed if they met me. He died unexpectedly last year - when I looked in his wallet - there was my photo- it was my before picture- the real me.

whitsernam Sun 30-Nov-14 18:29:54

Just posting to add that you sound like a lovely person, makeit, and I hope he appreciates you!!

Horsemad Sun 30-Nov-14 18:42:23

Oh IwasneverMary, that has actually moved me to tears.
How sweet.

FabULouse Sun 30-Nov-14 18:43:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bakeoffcakes Sun 30-Nov-14 18:51:33

Oh IwasneverMaryflowers

You must have felt very loved when you found that photo.

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Sun 30-Nov-14 19:11:00

My DH is very taciturn and on the outside, looks scary rather than sensitive. He is very unsentimental usually. I am the opposite, very sentimental, love kittens etc. Recently I have been quite seriously unwell and resting/sleeping a lot (relevant I promise!).

He just gave our DS his old phone and wiped everything bar the contacts DS would have needed. When I checked my number was correct (so not real snooping I suppose), the photo DH had assigned to the contact was a picture of a tiny sleeping kitten. When I asked him, under questioning smile, he said the pic reminded him of me.

LynetteScavo Sun 30-Nov-14 19:21:31

Iwas that is so touching!

Nomama Sun 30-Nov-14 19:23:56

I wasn't snooping but was helping DHs friend with a paperwork problem that could have lost him contact with his kids (his ex wife was desperate for her new man to be 'dad').

When we finished he said - "Mr Nomama was right. You are beautiful inside and out" and gave me a big, squeezy hug.

As I was very overweight and felt as miserable as sin at the time I was delighted (still am).

SantasFavouriteHo Sun 30-Nov-14 19:27:42

Oh my goodness, Iwas <sniffles>

Surfboredcat Sun 30-Nov-14 19:30:50

Iwasnever - that has brought a tear to my eye!

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Sun 30-Nov-14 19:31:58

<passes tissues round> what a nice for a thread! some lovely stories. I hope it continues.

I was very touched at my DH doing that as it's just so unlike him, he was really embarrassed at first that I'd seen it but I think he was pleased by how happy it made me. I must admit, I did cry at the time - have just had to blow my nose writing this!

papalazaru Sun 30-Nov-14 19:36:16

Oh Iwas that made me sob a little... I found a list called 'things I like about papa' in the notes of my DH's phone. About 12 things - so far �� and they're luverly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now