Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Relationship Advice

(12 Posts)
daveyo19921234 Sat 29-Nov-14 00:25:17

I have been with my partner for well over a year now, and everything has been great so far - she is a lovely girl who I can barely fault at all.
However, recently there has been another girl who I used to like a lot and all of a sudden she has come back onto the scene. My head says to stay with my girlfriend, but my heart and true feelings like with this other girl. What is your advice on what I should do please?

TheNewClassic Sat 29-Nov-14 00:34:45

Let your girlfriend go so she can find someone who truly cares about her and won't get his head turned by an old flame.

If the new girl doesn't like you back will you just stick with your current girlfriend?

DollyRocker1 Sat 29-Nov-14 00:35:28

If this other girl hadn't come on the scene would you be having any doubts about your current relationship?

daveyo19921234 Sat 29-Nov-14 00:37:17

Yes if the new girl doesn't like me back I would just stick with my current girlfriend
And no if this other girl hadn't come on the scene I wouldn't be having any doubts about my relationship

FolkGirl Sat 29-Nov-14 07:31:46

I wouldn't want anyone to "just stick with" me. And I doubt she would either.

A boyfriend/girlfriend isn't a possession to be held onto for your own benefit.

The very fact that this other girl has caused you to have "doubts about" your current relationship means it's not right.

Don't deny her the chance to find someone who loves her just to keep you company until someone better comes along.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 29-Nov-14 07:51:29

It's unfair to keep a girlfriend as a place-holder. Big waste of her time & emotion and not very respectful into the bargain. Let her down gently if you're not that into her.

gamerchick Sat 29-Nov-14 07:56:52

You don't stay with someone just because someone else didn't want you. It's cruel and mega immature.

Your girlfriend deserves someone to make her his world. That is not you.

demoska1 Sat 29-Nov-14 08:04:30

Ummmm.....go for this other girl so your current girlfriend can have a lucky break. Hopefully this other girl will see how shallow you are and you will "reap what you sow"

CupidStuntSurvivor Sat 29-Nov-14 15:05:57

Regardless of whether you decide to pursue the old flame, let your current partner go. She's not a place holder until you find someone who gets your blood pumping...She's a person. A person whose feelings you obviously don't care about very much if you're only staying with her because nobody better has come along.

dirtybadger Sat 29-Nov-14 16:30:51

As others have said. If you'd been together 20 years then the temptation wouldn't necessarily mean the same thing but so early in a relationship I think it's probably safe to say this means you aren't as into your girlfriend as you should be for things to last, anyway- even if you kept at it.

talbotinthesky Sat 29-Nov-14 19:21:22

This can't be serious surely? Are you 13 or something?

I believe it's real, talbot. There are people this shallow out there. Most of them don't admit it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now