Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

New guy,lack of attraction,advice pl

(28 Posts)
happyandsingle Sun 23-Nov-14 09:52:12

I wondered if someone on here could give me some advice.
I'm seeing someone I met on pof who I have been dating a few weeks.
When we first met there was no real physical attraction on my part but thought I would give it a few more dates as sometimes these things grow on you.
Fast forward a few more dates and I'm afraid the attraction is still not there. When I like someone I normally get butterflies when I see them but there is none of that and even when we DTD I did not really enjoy it and wondered if that's because I just don't fancy him enough.
The problem is he's such a nice guy,treats me well generous etc and I'm agonising if I should try and accept the lack of attraction as he's so nice or try and find someone I really fancy but who would probably not treat me as well as in my experience it's hard to find both.
Would like some opinions,or anyone who has been in similar and if I do break if of what's the kindest way to do it?
Not really used to dumping someone,plus he's been hurt before which makes me feel worse.

lemisscared Sun 23-Nov-14 09:54:30

Find someone who gives you butterflies AND treats you well. Don't string this guy along. Its not fair on either of you.

alphabook Sun 23-Nov-14 10:01:13

Don't settle, it won't end well for either of you.

CeeloWeevil Sun 23-Nov-14 10:02:52

I've just ended a relationship for just that reason, happy. The guy was really nice, but I just didn't fancy him, and after four months I reasoned that that wasn't going to change.

happyandsingle Sun 23-Nov-14 10:04:07

I'm really bad at letting someone down so I tend to go along with things through fear of hurting someone's feelings. I've been treated like crap myself and no how that feels.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 23-Nov-14 10:06:19

What's worse - ending a relationship because you aren't into them or stringing them along for years because you are bad at letting people down?

I think stringing someone along for years is much worse than putting a dying relationship out of it's misery.

Would you really just continue in a relationship with someone you aren't actually attracted to, just because you are fearful of hurting their feelings?

happyandsingle Sun 23-Nov-14 10:13:16

I just feel it's going to be a shock for him for me to suddenly end things as I always appear quite happy with him and he will probably wonder what he did wrong. What's the best way to finish things text him a message,meet in person.
It's only a month in so it's still at the very early stages.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 23-Nov-14 10:13:37

I've had more 'nice but....' boyfriends than I care to remember and always walk away. It's just wasting everyone's time waiting to feel some spark of attraction and it's very unfair to string him along if it's not there. He'd probably have been a good friend but you need more than that in a lover

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 23-Nov-14 10:15:40

Finish in person. Be kind about it without setting up false hopes. 'It's not working for me' is all the explanation you need.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 23-Nov-14 10:17:51

Oh come on - it's in the first month. It's hardly going to be a shock! That's the point of dating, you find out whether you like it or not.

In the first month, no need to meet up. Just call and say it isn't working for you.

aylesburyduck Sun 23-Nov-14 10:19:41

The only thing you can do is be honest with him and end the relationship.

I agree with you that sometimes sparks can be slow to ignite but sometimes they just never do. Keep searching for spark.

happyandsingle Sun 23-Nov-14 10:22:42

Would you say that a month is giving enough time to find that spark? I think deep down I would of felt an instant attraction. Why is it the nice guys are always the ones you don't fancy?

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 23-Nov-14 10:24:56

Of course you have given it long enough. Just DTMFA

makeitabetterplace Sun 23-Nov-14 10:37:05

This one is a no-go. It's a shame you slept with him even though you didn't fancy him really but maybe next time you'll only continue seeing people you fancy. It's hugely important, as you know. So end the relationship and move on.

fuctifino Sun 23-Nov-14 10:38:21

Why would you dtd with somebody you don't fancy confused?

Do him a favour and just tell him you're not that into him.

DollyRocker1 Sun 23-Nov-14 10:42:58

I don't like letting people down either. I recently had to tell someone there was no spark after 2 dates and he was visibly disappointed but we've kept in touch as friends.

I think if there's no spark by 2-3 dates it isn't going to come. I always thought that chemistry was mutually exclusive so I'm confused when a guy says they feel a spark but I don't. Is there a difference between spark. Chemistry and fancying?

happyandsingle Sun 23-Nov-14 10:43:34

I DTD because I just felt like sex in general and it's been a while but I didn't enjoy it so now understand its pointless having sex without that connection there.

SolidGoldBrass Sun 23-Nov-14 10:53:23

You will be doing nothing wrong if you dump him, as long as you are polite and kind about it. YOu did nothing wrong to have sex with him - having sex with someone can be a way of finding out if you are compatible or not.
Just tell him it isn't working for you and wish him luck with finding someone else. It would be wrong to persist in the relationship, because you will make yourself and him miserable. You will come to resent him and feel repulsed by him for wanting sex, he will wonder why you are so unhappy...

It is not compulsory to have a partner. It's much better to be single until/unless you find someone who is really worth having.

EllaFitzgerald Sun 23-Nov-14 10:53:26

You definitely have to finish it. You've given it a chance, but if you haven't felt a growing attraction by now, it's unlikely you ever will.

I know it's difficult to upset someone, but keep reminding yourself that you both deserve to be happy and if you carry on seeing him, you'll get to the stage where you can't bear him touching you, and that's not fair on either of you.

I'd do it by phone call. Texting is just harsh if it's been more than a couple of dates.

Seriouslyffs Sun 23-Nov-14 10:57:16

Get off pof and do some work on yourself. I'm really shocked that you slept with him without fancying him, but more so this statement:
I'm really bad at letting someone down so I tend to go along with things through fear of hurting someone's feelings. I've been treated like crap myself and no how that feels.
Of all the situations you could have ended up in (genuine congratulations for recognising it, btw) you've got off lightly.

happyandsingle Sun 23-Nov-14 11:04:14

Not really sure what your trying to say seriously but I can assure you I was not forced into DTD like another post said it was a way to test if there was any chemistry between us but sadly there wasn't.
But I agree I need to be more firm about saying how I really feel as I do worry to much what other people will think and need to consider what I really want as well

MadeMan Sun 23-Nov-14 11:06:24

"Is there a difference between spark. Chemistry and fancying?"

I usually think of the spark and chemistry as being pretty much the same thing; just clicking with someone and getting on really really well to the point of smiling all the time. In my opinion it's different to actually fancying someone and wanting to have sex with them although sometimes they go together.

Fancying is about wanting sex and not neccesarily about getting along with, or clicking with someone in my opinion.

happy, if you don't fancy the man and aren't attracted to him then you might as well let him go free.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sun 23-Nov-14 11:06:38

He's a nice man and has treated you decently. Now treat him decently back and let him go.

Dating is testing to see if you're compatible. You're not. After only one month of seeing him you are not in danger of breaking his heart. Be honest. Be kind. That's it.

DollyRocker1 Sun 23-Nov-14 11:08:43

I thinking kissing is usually enough to test the chemistry.

HumblePieMonster Sun 23-Nov-14 11:14:29

There isn't a problem here.
"Thank you, but this isn't working for me. Goodbye"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now