Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Wedding ring...when do I stop wearing it?

(15 Posts)
Jezzabelle Fri 21-Nov-14 17:50:38

I separated from my DH 4 weeks ago. When did you stop wearing your ring? I love my ring. It's also the only jewellery I wear, (apart from the occasional piece of costume jewellery on a night out). He's away visiting his new girlfriend this weekend....I know, I probably should just take the thing off! I don't want him back, but it seems so symbolic and final. I don't want my DDs (8 and 6) to ask why either, (although they are clearly aware that we have separated!) Maybe I'm just being silly.

vulgarwretch Fri 21-Nov-14 17:52:34

If you love it, I'd just wear it on the other hand.

FelicityGubbins Fri 21-Nov-14 17:53:05

Wear it on your right hand instead smile

vulgarwretch Fri 21-Nov-14 17:54:06

Although you might be overthinking your children's reaction. Do you think they would notice?

Frenchfemme Fri 21-Nov-14 17:55:08

There is no reason at all to stop wearing it if you don't want to - it's yours, you like it and it suits you. Nothing to do with anyone else. You may eventually want to look into having it resized to wear on another hand/finger, but that is your choice.

Buttercupsanddaisys Fri 21-Nov-14 18:07:01

Nah, I don't think you're being silly, at allsmile

You love your ring, so wear it. It gives a solid message to your dds that they are the product of a (once) loving relationship and just because their dad isn't at home with you all now, that original relationship still holds good and signals some continuity. And that's good for them.smile

orangefusion Fri 21-Nov-14 18:15:45

When it feels right?

handfulofcottonbuds Fri 21-Nov-14 18:19:09

You'll know when and if you're ready.

I changed mine to my right hand but it didn't feel right. I eventually took them off when bizarrely, I developed eczema on my ring finger and couldn't wear them anymore - first time I ever had that!

I did but myself a lovely ring to go on my middle finger though as I didn't realise how much I fiddled with my wedding/engagement ring.

I'm sorry you're going through this thanks

Jezzabelle Fri 21-Nov-14 18:33:17

Thank you all. Strangely, it doesn't fit on my right hand! (Just tried). I thought that maybe when the time does feel right, I might take my DDs to Brighton for a weekend and ask them to help me choose a ring from the vintage shops in the lanes, so I can wear another ring with significance on my middle finger. Not sure if I'll do that, but I guess from what you've all said, it's not too weird to carry on wearing it until I'm ready. Thank you.

StarvingBookworm Fri 21-Nov-14 20:58:55

DH ended our marriage 6 months ago. I still wear my wedding ring. Like you I don't wear other jewellery, and my DCs (age 5 and 3) fiddle with it on my finger a lot. I've tried taking it off but it feels too big a step still, my finger feels "light" without it. I'll keep it on longer, although I do take it off every so often to see if I feel differently.

Zebraface Fri 21-Nov-14 21:40:19

I may sound a bit harsh but mine came off straight away....vows broken,ring never ending circle 'as a token of our love' void.

Sorry you are going through this...perhaps when your heart tells you its over.

alongcamespiders Fri 21-Nov-14 21:46:09

We split last November I stopped wearing mind on New Years day. It felt right, any earlier felt too soon and obvious symbolism with NYD.

Sickoffrozen Fri 21-Nov-14 22:03:04

Straight away with me. I have since sold it and my engagement ring. Paid for a nice family holiday smile

Rioux Fri 21-Nov-14 22:35:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatieKaye Fri 21-Nov-14 22:40:59

About a week later when it sunk in that it really was over.
I wore a wedding band, engagement ring and eternity ring - and to me they represented something that was no longer true.

And then later on realised they were just rings... given to me by a man I no longer had any respect for. Not even sure where they are now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now