Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Don't know where to start....

(4 Posts)
Only1scoop Fri 21-Nov-14 11:38:49

Myself and Dp are beginning relationship counselling this week. Our first session is an hour and a half in duration with both of us.

Counsellor has asked each of us for a simple timeline style chronology of significant points in our lives. Without sounding stupid how condensed should this be? She says if she has it written down it will save time asking questions. Also she can refer to it. Is it as simple as born on....school from....mum attempted suicide onhmm....relationship 1 from....
And so on....

How specific do you think I should be? We have real problems with our relationship at the moment how much 'other' stuff should I list.... I'm guessing it would all be classed as relevant or not??

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

GoatsDoRoam Fri 21-Nov-14 11:45:42

Write what you think is significant.
That will already tell the counsellor a lot.

Only1scoop Fri 21-Nov-14 13:07:04

Goats thanks....makes sense

I've started it torn a couple up....

I've drawn a line literally ....and marked times that things happened.

I don't want to over complicate it.

LadyLuck10 Fri 21-Nov-14 13:24:20

I think draw a time line and if you go through each year, decide if something significant happened eg. If going to school happened smoothly then don't incl, but if you were bullied then that's something significant?
I think add both the positive and negative significant points.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now