Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Warts and all

(10 Posts)
system500 Tue 18-Nov-14 02:52:18

I'm putting this here for obvious reasons. During a recent pap smear the gynae was concerned at some changes down below. My pap smear came back clear but I needed a biopsy. The biopsy said i had condyloma (genital warts). I'm now being tested for HPV.

I've been with my partner for over twenty years and I know I've been faithful. We were both completely shell shocked. He's being very quiet about it and when I asked him if he'd cheated he said 'you know I haven't'. The only thing I DO know is that I haven't cheated. I've googled this to death and can't really get an answer to incubation periods. I'm so confused and on top of all that 'mindfuck' stuff I have fucking genital warts! We both have more than one partner before we met each other so can it like dormant for that long?

So what am I asking? Does anyone have experience of this or a deeper knowledge that they can guide me. My Doctor's English was limited and she just confused me more.

Jolleigh Tue 18-Nov-14 02:59:00

http://www.health-science-report.com/alotek/topics1/article3/

Breathe easy OP. Can go undetected for many many years, isn't necessarily sexual, isn't contagious after a certain amount of time, isn't routinely tested for and generally found by chance. You may well have had it a very long time and it just happens to have not been picked up previously.

sunflower49 Tue 18-Nov-14 02:59:18

I don't know what the incubation period is but I know it can be a long time.

HPV can reoccur and lie dormant but in most cases, your body rids itself of the virus eventually. I would assume this would be in less than twenty years.

I hope he hasn't cheated.

I would go straight to a GUM clinic and ask the experts. Sorry you're going through this.

System500 Sun 23-Nov-14 13:13:40

Sorry I didn't reply to those who posted on the thread. I'm so embarrassed and confused. I did have some private messages which made me feel better and they were more helpful than my Doc ( you know who you are and thanks again).
But now I've had the results back of my HPV test and it's all negative.

I don't know where else to ask as I'm overseas and finding a knowledgable doctor is word of mouth. You can understand my hesitance to ask anyone I know.

So how can I have condyloma but no HPV. I don't even have obvious warts I just have soreness and a bit 'whiteish' down below. Can this lie dormant and the biopsy just happened to pick it up and in this time my body has gotten rid of the HPV? I know this isn't the health thread and maybe I should be posting there but If you do reply please be gentle to say I'm feeling fragile is an understatement.

WalkJumpClimb34 Sun 23-Nov-14 16:11:00

Sorry I can't help you System I just wanted to say I hope someone comes on to help you soon as I can understand how shitty you must be feeling. I really hope it gets sorted out for you soon and you can find some answers.

2times Sun 23-Nov-14 16:28:53

My understanding that there are many different types/strains of HPV. Some cause genital warts but are not associated with changes that can lead to cervical cancer. Infection with other types is strongly linked to cervical cancer but not to genital warts. (And of course there are other types associated with warts elsewhere on the body)
Could it be possible that you have tested negative for the ones that cause/have been linked to cervical cancer and this is what is meant by you being HPV negative. But are positive for the other less dangerous ones that cause warts.

The incubation period (between infection and development of symptoms) can be years. More commonly it's closer to 3 months.

System500 Sun 23-Nov-14 16:40:37

Thanks Walk.

Thanks for replying 2times. I've had my results emailed to me and it lists the HPV's I've been tested for and they're all negative. Even 6 & 11 which are linked to genital warts.

I just don't understand how I can test negative and still test, by biopsy, positive for warts. I have so many questionssad

2times Sun 23-Nov-14 17:35:39

Though, 6 and 11 are the cause in about 90% of cases, there are other (low risk) types that can can cause genital warts - types 40, 42, 43, 44, 53, 54, 61, 72, 73 and 81... Did they test for all these?

You poor thing, it would be great if you could talk to someone else about the results.

2times Sun 23-Nov-14 17:36:22

Actually the important thing (health wise at least) is that you are not positive for the high risk HPVs.

System500 Sun 23-Nov-14 17:45:03

That's true 2times. It could be a lot worse I think I need to focus on that.

Low risk they tested for 6, 11, 34, 70 & 80 then 19 types of high risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now