Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Assault charge

(11 Posts)
meggamind Mon 17-Nov-14 23:09:06

H has been charged with assault and due in court next month. Has previous history but never charged. He cant contact me or come home. I think he will plead guilty. Any ideas what he will get and what will happen after?

nozzz Mon 17-Nov-14 23:18:13

Need more information on the context here, did he assault you?

meggamind Mon 17-Nov-14 23:24:04

Yes and has done on previous occassions but i didnt press charges. All over a period of 8 years or so.

SelfLoathing Mon 17-Nov-14 23:24:41

Was it sexual assault or non-sexual assault?
What was the nature of the assault and what were the effects? (ie. were you you injured - gbh?)

>>>Has previous history but never charged.

Are these offences that will be now taken into account or are they under the radar?

CPS guidelines here:

www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offences_against_the_person/#a04

LineRunner Mon 17-Nov-14 23:25:36

What would be the best outcome for you?

meggamind Mon 17-Nov-14 23:44:07

Its common assault. A slap. Need him to stay out of prison and keep working to support our family. Its a mess. I am filing for divorce have 2 kids a mortgage and solely reliant on him for money. He will be difficult.

Catsarebastards Mon 17-Nov-14 23:52:12

Are you working? What age are Dcs? Possibly worth thinking about getting work yourself. Doesnt sound like you can depend on anything from him. You are now separated so you would e entitled to claim some benefits like INcome support if children under 5, child tax credits. Chamge mortgage to interest only and apply for housing benefit. Might get something.

meggamind Tue 18-Nov-14 00:02:14

Thanks. Have 2 kids under 5. He is very well paid. Have applied for income support and to CSA so far and will apply for what I can. Really need to keep the house is my main concern. Its so shit.

FluffyMcnuffy Tue 18-Nov-14 00:06:22

It's very likely he will get a caution if he has no previous. It's very very unlikely he will go to prison off a common assault charge.

flowers for you.

LineRunner Tue 18-Nov-14 00:10:51

The most likely outcome, for better or worse, is some form of community sentence.

Have you got legal advice or spoken to Women's Aid? Good luck.

meggamind Tue 18-Nov-14 00:16:10

Thanks everyone. Hes been a dick and our marriage is over i am just interested in protecting my assetts for me and the kids. The past weeks have been hell but have amazing RL support and with WA and victim support too. Im kind of excited but its going to be a slog!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now