Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sexual Abuse

(18 Posts)
ovaryhill Sun 16-Nov-14 18:54:24

If you were abused as a child is it possible to report the abuse to the police as an adult even if the abuser is dead?
If it is possible, what do the police do?

ovaryhill Sun 16-Nov-14 19:41:27


HumblePieMonster Sun 16-Nov-14 19:51:29

I'm sorry, I don't know. Though in the case of Jimmy Savile, his being dead doesn't seem to have been a problem.

ovaryhill Sun 16-Nov-14 19:58:52

Do you know, that didn't even enter my head! Of course he was dead when it all came out!
In a family, not news worthy situation though would anything be done?

SelfLoathing Sun 16-Nov-14 20:02:49

Well you could report it but unless the reported abuse is part of something bigger they probably won't do anything about it as there is no point is there?

The alleged criminal is dead so there is no crime to prosecute. The police have stretch budgets as it is dealing with current crime so allegations against a dead person would most likely not be of interest.

When I say part of something bigger, I mean (for example):
a paedophile ring; a priest and a cover up; a school or other institution where allegations of abuse were known and were not investigated; the Jimmy Saville investigation; the political abuse investigation.

Ultimately, the only way to be sure is to speak to the police with a brief summary of the facts.

SelfLoathing Sun 16-Nov-14 20:04:03

Also if other people knew/participated/covered up they may be guilty of crimes themselves - so if the allegations include that kind of thing could be something the police may investigate.

Moonraker37 Sun 16-Nov-14 20:04:37

Perhaps call the Samaritans or the police themselves and ask. You can find out before you decide to make a formal complaint. Sending you a hug, from someone who feels your sadness x

ovaryhill Sun 16-Nov-14 20:32:06

Thank you moonraker, someone else did collude somewhat but they are also dead
I'm pretty sure the abuser admitted to a now retired GP what he had done but that would be the only proof I have and would a GP still be bound by patient confidentiality?

ovaryhill Sun 16-Nov-14 21:01:00


Jolleigh Sun 16-Nov-14 21:32:52

I don't think confidentiality is upheld for police matters is the patient is dead but I'm not certain. But confidentiality can and should be broken my a GP if someone is in danger. That said, unless you're certain the GP knows something, might you be better of talking to a professional who could help you work through this? What is your desired outcome?

Pastmyduedate0208 Sun 16-Nov-14 21:38:33

As pp said unless there are further victims or people alive who colluded with the abuse, the authorities will not really do anything.
For your personal piece of mind, could you talk to someone about what happened such as a trusted friend or member of your family?

ovaryhill Sun 16-Nov-14 21:52:40

I don't know what I want, thanks for your replies

AWholeLottaNosy Sun 16-Nov-14 21:54:42

Why do you feel you want to report it now, OP? Has something triggered this?

ghostspirit Sun 16-Nov-14 22:14:16

Hi op I think like the others have said im not sure if much came be done if the abuser has died. unless it was a part of something else.

If you are a survivor of abuse op maybe you could look into counselling for yourself so you can talk about how you feel and how it has effected you. Do it for you.

ovaryhill Sun 16-Nov-14 22:46:39

I just thought perhaps I could get some official validation that it was abuse

SelfLoathing Sun 16-Nov-14 23:10:09

I think that you probably can't get that in respect of a dead person (unless there are other issues as discussed above) ovary because the law is innocent until proven guilty.

If this person was still alive, if you went to the police and made a complaint, there would still have to be a trial. The person you made the allegations about would be entitled to defend himself, his actions and his reputation. Then the court would decide the issue of guilt or innocence.

That process means that the police probably can't give you that official validation.

But really a phone call to your local police to ask these kind of questions can't hurt if you are wondering what your options are.

Stupidhead Mon 17-Nov-14 04:11:25

Please call your local station for a chat. There are AMAZING and will take you seriously.

Hugs x

ovaryhill Mon 17-Nov-14 09:31:56

Thanks , I wanted an idea of what would happen if I went in and reported,but I don't think I will now
Thanks to all for replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now