Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can this email to my DHs account from Jennifer @ gmx.com just be a scam or something more?

(86 Posts)
CurlyWurlyCake Tue 11-Nov-14 22:09:24

DH left his work email account open on the joint iPad. I glanced at it and there was an email from Jennifer.

It read: I have some more topless pictures for you, would you like to talk about it. Then signed off as ytmmhgy.

The email address is something like lynneeystunmhrf@gmx.com

Can this just be a scam email, to his large corporate company email? Where would they get his email address from?

He deleted the email from his phone and it's now in his trash. He hasn't mentioned it which makes me think it's not the first time. If I received something like that I would tell him in a OMG you will never guess the email I have just received shock way.

Carrie5608 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:13:25

Most businesses get a load of these spam emails. eg. If your email is john@reallybigbusiness.co.uk the spam is sent out to random first names @ reallybigbusiness.co.uk

he may also be visiting dodgy sites but this does not prove it.

MrsHathaway Tue 11-Nov-14 22:14:37

Maybe he gets a lot of spam - I certainly don't tell DH about every spam email I get unless it's particularly convincing and I'm reporting it.

Hope it's nothing.

NoArmaniNoPunani Tue 11-Nov-14 22:15:20

It's spam. I get them advising me of ways to increase my penis size. I'm pretty sure I don't have a penis

PatriciaHolm Tue 11-Nov-14 22:16:08

Pretty standard spam I would imagine. Corporate emails are easy to get hold of -people sell them, they are easy to guess, they tend to be online on business sites. I wouldn't think to mention getting it, it's a frequent occurrence.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Tue 11-Nov-14 22:16:34

I'm a woman and get similar emails

wrapsuperstar Tue 11-Nov-14 22:16:46

It sounds spammy (my DP has had spam along similar lines, as have I) but impossible to know from what you say. Have you tried googling the email address?

Jackie0 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:16:57

Don't even upset yourself about it. It's just spam.

ScrambledEggAndToast Tue 11-Nov-14 22:19:53

Sounds very spam like

HonoraryOctonaut Tue 11-Nov-14 22:21:26

I get emails like that all the time (and I don't sign up to or browse any dodgy sites either so I don't know where they come from). I get them in my 'Others' folder on FB too. I just delete them automatically as they are so frequent that they don't register to me anymore.

skaen Tue 11-Nov-14 22:21:38

I've had similar. Not male, definitely not interested.

DiscoDancer Tue 11-Nov-14 22:21:39

I used to get these too. Apparently they could help me get erections. hmm Definitely spam.

CurlyWurlyCake Tue 11-Nov-14 22:22:03

Very relieved to see everyone agreeing to just spam. My spam is only ever inviting me to corporate events never had an invite to increase my non existent penis before though!

SophieBarringtonWard Tue 11-Nov-14 22:22:43

I've had very similar emails. I wouldn't mention them to my DH as they are just spam...

mumwithanipad Tue 11-Nov-14 22:24:49

Spam. Both myself and dh get these.

alabasterangel Tue 11-Nov-14 22:55:01

My work addy gets tons of medical pharmaceutical ones, with deliberate misspelling to avoid filters. I have no clue why. IT seem powerless!!

I regularly fear that while in the middle of a web conference where I am sharing my screen, my email notifier will pop up with 'I have so many of the best toools to give you a rok hard boner' or similar.....

WallBox Tue 11-Nov-14 23:00:30

I get lots of similar stuff, ignore.

nozzz Tue 11-Nov-14 23:02:08

Any reason to doubt your DH would tell you the truth OP?

AnyFucker Tue 11-Nov-14 23:03:26

I am a right suspicious bastard, but that sounds like spam

Icantwaituntilxmas Tue 11-Nov-14 23:05:02

@gmx emails are normally spam emails.

dorasee Tue 11-Nov-14 23:05:04

Total spam. We get this stuff. It's nonsense. Don't click on any attachments.

mausmaus Tue 11-Nov-14 23:05:10

I get emails like that, along with offers for blue pills and gambling.

fruitloopsandfruitshoots Tue 11-Nov-14 23:06:07

Another one saying spam here! I have had rubbish like that, and my company has supposedly got a watertight firewall!

Momagain1 Tue 11-Nov-14 23:07:24

SPAM, Spam, Spam, Spam! Spaaam, wonderful Spaaam!

I regularly get offers from big-breasted women. And, since living in California, huge amounts of Spam in Spanglish offering me I dont know what.

Showy Tue 11-Nov-14 23:08:16

FirstName@genericfacelesscompany.com is nearly always spam ime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now