Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Am I being foolish re man that can't meet

(31 Posts)
SezaMcGregor Mon 10-Nov-14 11:07:26

Met guy. Had massive crush. Finally contacted him. Said that he is ill with some long term pain thing and though he is really pleased to hear of my interest, and would like to meet up, cannot do so for a while. Asked me to keep in touch and we've since been exchanging a few messages a day - sometimes more.

I really really have a massive crush.

He says that he is keen to leave it open ended, just keep it friendly. He finds me attractive and would really like to meet. He's also wary about leading me on to think that there could be a relationship when he's so far from being able to see me.

His messages are friendly, he seems interesting and has good hobbies and interests.

I just wonder whether my judgement is being clouded by the guy that I really fancy showing even a bit of interest and should I realistically just tell him to get in touch when he is able to see me?

Do not know what to do.

LoisPuddingLane Mon 10-Nov-14 11:09:31

Hm. This is the sort of situation I get myself into. Whether he's being honest or not, there's not actually anything substantial on the table at the moment. He might be unwell, or he might be hiding a wife/family.

I would advise (difficult I know) backing off and seeing what happens.

BastardGoDarkly Mon 10-Nov-14 11:11:50

I'd forget about him, move on to someone who can give you something more tangible.

He may have used a fake photo or anything, this isn't going to go anywhere.

Myearhurts Mon 10-Nov-14 11:12:37

I would either back off entirely, or just be completely straight with him and ask where it is going.

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Nov-14 11:13:05

How many times have you met him? Have you been on a date with him or is it someone you know?

GoatsDoRoam Mon 10-Nov-14 11:13:32

You're in a situation where you're being left hanging. Which does not do you any good.

Can he commit to seeing you at a specific date in time?

If not, then I think you need to stop with the friendly messages and make a real effort to move on. Yes, tell him to be in touch when he is able, if you want. But don't just hold your breath waiting. However wonderful or not he is, you being on hold is not healthy for you.

If he's not available for health reasons, then he's not available. However honest or an unfair a reason that is, it's still unavailability. You can't have a relationship with someone who is not available.

SezaMcGregor Mon 10-Nov-14 11:14:05

I'm sure that it's true as I've spoken to a friend of his (loosely) about it and he was the one that said, yes he is single but has * this * going on.

I think that I was so caught up with his being pleased that I'm interested to give it any much consideration.

I like him and I don't really want to tell him to "call me when you can meet me" but wonder if I should?

SezaMcGregor Mon 10-Nov-14 11:15:23

Wow - lots of messages.

Thank you, that's given me some perspective on things smile

I think that there are lots of things ^ that I needed to hear/see

Myearhurts Mon 10-Nov-14 11:16:50

The thing is there are people all over the world with chronic conditions who still manage to have relationships.

Without knowing the circumstances it's difficult to know how to judge this one. For example if he is in the hospital I can understand why he couldn't really entertain the idea of having a relationship right now.

However if he is at home, what is there to stop you from visiting him?

SelfLoathing Mon 10-Nov-14 11:17:53

He's also wary about leading me on to think that there could be a relationship when he's so far from being able to see me.

Men usually tell you everything you need to know directly. "I'm not ready for a relationship"; "I don't want anything serious" etc etc. Woman often ignore this at their peril.

This sounds to me exactly like this. He is TELLING you there is not going to be a relationship and he would be leading you on. All you need to know. Stop right now.

You'll only fan the flames of your crush and end up a limmerent, obsessive wreck.

[Obviously, I am highly suspicious but I wonder whether he is in fact married. Stuff about not being able to meet up for a while is commonly a ruse; it means I'm not free to just disappear for an evening as my wife will suspect so I need a bit of time to plan and find out when she's out for the evening/away.]

SezaMcGregor Mon 10-Nov-14 11:29:52

SelfLoathin - Nope, I'm pretty certain that he's a single man.

I'm also pretty certain that his illness is true, as is his wanting not to meet until this phase passes is also truth.

I think that I've just been blinded by his attentions.

zigazigah01 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:33:40

yep, ditch this guy.
I have done this before - ignored what a guy was telling me upfront (that he was happy with his life as a bachelor).
Also, do you really need a pen pal? Been there, done that - in the end it just becomes very frustrating.
Easier to cut this off now before you get in much deeper.

Lovingfreedom Mon 10-Nov-14 11:36:41

Catfish

SezaMcGregor Mon 10-Nov-14 11:41:07

Thank you - I needed that (no sarcasm).

SezaMcGregor Mon 10-Nov-14 11:41:26

LovingFreedom - he's not a catfish, I've met him.

LoisPuddingLane Mon 10-Nov-14 12:01:09

What's a catfish?

tipsytrifle Mon 10-Nov-14 12:03:30

He says that he is keen to leave it open ended, just keep it friendly.

I think he's said where he's coming from, really. He's not available on a romantic basis and has limited availability as a friend. Goats said it well.

What's unnerving is that so many find unavailability such an attraction ... no, really. Is it the challenge? Wanting to be the One/the rescuer?

Whatever, a decent cup of coffee probably has far more to offer by way of gratification ...

AnyFucker Mon 10-Nov-14 12:03:55

He wants the ego boost you provide. Is happy to keep you dangling to keep getting the cookies but doesn't want to put in the effort of a relationship

It's for you to decide whether you are worth more than that

LoisPuddingLane Mon 10-Nov-14 12:13:51

so many find unavailability such an attraction ... no, really. Is it the challenge? Wanting to be the One/the rescuer?

In a lot of cases it's just hardwired into your emotional system. Emotionally unavailable father who only spoke to me to put me down, in my case. It's hard to escape.

tipsytrifle Mon 10-Nov-14 12:18:51

Totally agree Lois. I'm the same, with parents as the point of origin sad

LoisPuddingLane Mon 10-Nov-14 12:20:47

It's rubbish isn't it? However hard one tries to be positive, those early messages are just wired in. I know forgiveness is healthy and all that, but I am not sure I'll ever forgive my father - for that and many other things.

InfinitySeven Mon 10-Nov-14 12:23:10

I agree with everyone who has said that you are looking for something that he can't give.

He's told you that he'll be your online friend, but he doesn't want anything more than that. He's dressed it up so it doesn't seem so harsh, and you don't give him a virtual slap, but that's what he's said.

He's told you this now so that in a few months/years, when he's with someone else or you realise that you've wasted a lot of time holding on for him, he can say that he told you that he just wanted to be friends, that he can't (or doesn't want to) give anything more. He's told you who he is.

It's probably flattering for both of you to have this type of intense online communication, talking every day. If you're happy with just that, you could carry on until you meet someone better. Now that your feelings are involved, though, you're likely to end up getting hurt, and that would really suck. I'd back away now.

LoisPuddingLane Mon 10-Nov-14 12:25:14

Yup. What Infinity said.

zigazigah01 Mon 10-Nov-14 12:28:30

"a decent cup of coffee probably has far more to offer by way of gratification"

haha, this made me laugh.

I have consistently gone for unavailable men over the last few years, I think as a way of protecting myself. If they are unavailable then I can't really get too involved, so there is no chance of being badly hurt. This is on the back up of a very bad break up, that rocked my very sense of myself.

However I am now just tired of it. I think I deserve more than that. As do you.

SweetsForMySweet Mon 10-Nov-14 12:30:13

I think he is keeping you hanging on as a backup option in case he doesn't meet anyone else. I would get on with your life and not put dating other people on hold while you are waiting for this guy to commit to having a romantic relationship with you. You deserve better. If he was really that into you, he would date you now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now