Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DS new girlfriend

(89 Posts)
Honeyforever Tue 04-Nov-14 12:27:31

3 weeks ago, DS girlfriend dumped him, they are both almost 17 and have been 'together' since they were 14, they had just started different colleges and I suppose drifted apart
He was upset for all of 3 days hmm and has now announced he has a new girlfriend!
Thing is, he has known this new girl for years, we all know the family as they are part of the sports club DH and DS belong to, and I can't say I'm too pleased. I posted about her mother about 5 name changes ago (!) saying how she constantly flirts with my DH and sends him texts telling him how wonderful he is hmm
I'm afraid I might of expressed my opinion a bit too loudly when DS told me his news and he is now sulking,
What do I do? Embrace the new girl and hope it fizzles out? I just want DS to be happy but that woman makes my teeth itch confused

springydaffs Tue 04-Nov-14 12:30:37

If he's 17 then maybe he's old enough to learn about his new girlfriend's mother?

CheersMedea Tue 04-Nov-14 12:31:40

He's 17!!!

No relationships survive university - or 0.0001% of them do.

Don't worry about it. Won't last.

FrauHelga Tue 04-Nov-14 12:31:55

The new girlfriend is not her mother.

Honeyforever Tue 04-Nov-14 12:45:14

cheersmedea me and DH have been together since we were 16, were nearly 50 shock

springydaffs DS knows about the mother, he has said that he thinks she's a slag, albeit before he got together with the girl

frau I know she not her mother, but her mother is going to be very involved in this relationship.

Mammanat222 Tue 04-Nov-14 13:03:46

Why does she have your DH's number and why doesn't your DH tell her to back off / behave more appropriately?

pompodd Tue 04-Nov-14 13:07:07

Not really your business, is it, if he's 17?

And your DS called this woman a slag? Right...

FrauHelga Tue 04-Nov-14 13:08:59

Does your DS tell your DH he thinks he's a slag too? Because she got your DH number from somewhere, and quite obviously he didn't tell her clearly to back off.

FrauHelga Tue 04-Nov-14 13:09:03

Does your DS tell your DH he thinks he's a slag too? Because she got your DH number from somewhere, and quite obviously he didn't tell her clearly to back off.

Only1scoop Tue 04-Nov-14 13:11:18

Your ds calls her mother a 'slag'

How nice

Joysmum Tue 04-Nov-14 13:14:09

Lovely son you've got there calling women slags. hmm

At 17 it's about you stepped back and let him get on with living his own life and just be there to pick up the pieces.

CheersMedea Tue 04-Nov-14 13:14:33

cheersmedea me and DH have been together since we were 16, were nearly 50

So what? That is totally irrelevant to your question.

That was 40 years ago! Times have changed. It's really uncommon now. Life expectancy is longer, people marry later, choose life partners later, have children later.

The very high likelihood is that this won't be his life partner. Not least because he's probably rebounding. He is 17 years old! In the modern world, that is a child really.

squitchey Tue 04-Nov-14 13:14:37

It's rather cod psychology, but it reads very much like you're projecting the situation with your DH / this woman onto the one with your son and the new girlfriend. You want this woman to get the message and stay away from your DH, and for your DH to be unavailable to her, so it's rather a kick in the teeth that another version of her has 'got' to your son?

It's not fair to take out your dislike of this woman on either her daughter or your son.

CheersMedea Tue 04-Nov-14 13:16:09

DS knows about the mother, he has said that he thinks she's a slag

OMG shock A seventeen year old boy talking about his gf's mother like that? or any woman for that matter?

Raised to respect women and respect his elders then?

How lovely.

TheHermitCrab Tue 04-Nov-14 13:17:40

This all seems a bit immature.

You and your son calling a woman you don't like a slag, who's texting your husband.... she didn't get your husband's number from thin air.

He's dating the daughter, not the mother, even if this relationship lasted forever, it's irrelevant, not all couple's parents get on...

Just leave him to it.

WallBox Tue 04-Nov-14 13:18:54

Perhaps he's hoping for a younger version of the slag. Gross.

Honeyforever Tue 04-Nov-14 13:19:03

She has both mine and DH numbers as she is chairperson of the club (she's never txt me tho)
DH has previously done things to help out at the club,hence the 'you are wonderful etc etc texts

DS didn't call her a slag to her face, he said to us a while back that she was a slag as she kept texting his dad and he could see it upset me.

DH steers clear of her but she always makes a beeline for him and he's too polite to tell her to back off. If I'm there she tends to act in the same manner. My presence doesn't stop her

I'm sure the daughter is a lovely girl and I will welcome her in our home, but I can do without the mother trying to get even more involved.

FrauHelga Tue 04-Nov-14 13:19:50

I bet you called the mother a slag, right Honey? And he sat and agreed with you.

Only1scoop Tue 04-Nov-14 13:23:37

Not to he face....that's ok then hmm

Honeyforever Tue 04-Nov-14 13:25:37

I've never called her a slag, I've kept my opinion to myself, Im not some fishwife calling everyone names!

Poor DH went through it when she first sent the texts, I used to blame him but then learnt that it's all her, he only ever replied with a polite, curteous txt

I now ignore it and don't grill him about texts, I trust him

I shall let DS get on with it and hope he's happy, that's all I want for him

pompodd Tue 04-Nov-14 13:25:48

Blimey, OP. It wasn't that your DS might have called this woman a slag to her face that people were surprised by. It was the fact that he used the word at all (and you seemingly aren't bothered about him doing so).

FrauHelga Tue 04-Nov-14 13:26:39

I'm quite bloody sure you haven't kept your opinion to yourself grin because you said "I might have expressed my opinion a bit too loudly"

TheHermitCrab Tue 04-Nov-14 13:28:09

Why would it upset you some local "slag" texting your husband (and have a previous thread about it) if your husband wasn't responding?.

Your husband is too polite to tell her to back off so you and your son call her a slag?

I'm lost here.. Surely if you trust your husband just leave her to being a flirty creep... there's a lot of them about - male and female.

As for your sons girlfriend... it's just tough, she is who she is, I'm sure it's all too poisoned now by petty immaturity over the mother for it to last...

AnyFawker Tue 04-Nov-14 13:28:30

This is all rather involved isn't it ?

Take my advice, honey. Don't get involved in your (late) teenager's relationships and look to your own husband to assist you in safeguarding your own.

Honeyforever Tue 04-Nov-14 13:28:34

Have you not heard teenage boys talking? I'm sure I don't live in a bubble and every other teenager is a complete innocent angel

Some of the things I hear from some boys makes my toes curl, believe me, saying someone is a slag is very tame,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now