Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do you stop yourself from texting?

(22 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Mon 03-Nov-14 22:34:12

Ok so I really want to text a guy but I know I can't/ will feel. Rap if I do. Any ideas what I can do with my hands to prevent texting?

Waltermittythesequel Mon 03-Nov-14 22:35:19

Can't you just delete his number?

superstarheartbreaker Mon 03-Nov-14 22:35:54

Knitting maybe?! (Lighthearted thread please. I know I'm crap so don't want any lectures on how. Rap I am). I have now not texted for 4 days!

LineRunner Mon 03-Nov-14 22:36:03

Backstory? Otherwise I would say just have an early night.

makeminemango Mon 03-Nov-14 22:36:19

Send the message to a good friend or friends instead. Every time- even if it is ALOT of texts. Hang in there, it will get easier with time

Walkacrossthesand Mon 03-Nov-14 22:41:26

Do the Zen thing - 'acknowledge the desire without yielding to it'. Distract yourself. Visualise yourself beyond the urge, having not yielded. Repeat until urge subsides!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 03-Nov-14 22:47:39

Put the phone in a box, and then put the box in a place too high to reach without standing on a chair. Sounds daft but in the short time it takes to pull out a chair, stand on it and retrieve the box, you'll have realised it's a bad idea.

mylifeagain Mon 03-Nov-14 22:54:18

I know exactly what you feel. I'm trying to work out exactly the same thing! What's worked for me so far is texting friends, just general catching up so just chatting and then HE is forgotten about for a while

Drumdrum60 Mon 03-Nov-14 23:08:17

Someone used to text me and I wouldn't even bother to read it. Not nice. So I imagine it the other way around and it's easy not to text.

AuntieStella Mon 03-Nov-14 23:14:56

Let your phone battery go flat?

And paint your nails. Several times if necessary!

CurlyWurlyCake Mon 03-Nov-14 23:18:26

I agree with drum I would just delete without reading! think about that and then do what cogito wrote.

mylifeagain Mon 03-Nov-14 23:25:53

There is no way I would put my phone in a box up high....let alone I want to hear from him but I do actually have a life also that would take me away from thinking about him so I do actually need to text / speak to friends...rubbish advise anyway if you're obsessing...do like drum and Stellas advise...it's whether you're brave enough to do it...personally I'm not at the moment

SinglePringle Mon 03-Nov-14 23:46:15

I deleted all the texts between us and his number. I had it written down on a piece of paper in a drawer but the act of hunting it out made me realise texting was bad.

I never got passed thinking / realising - not once did I dog out the number.

And also I was more likely to have texted if I'd had a drink. The idea of waking up and realising with that feeling of horror weaned me.

SelfLoathing Tue 04-Nov-14 00:30:18

Imagine being in the witness box in court and all your text messages being raked over in the harassment case. The times you sent them, what they say, the circumstance in which you sent them, the fact he never responded

redviolin Tue 04-Nov-14 00:57:49

I once switched my phone off (the one he would contact me on) but took all the numbers of the friends I wanted to chat to. Then I bought one of these £30 PAYG phones and used that for a couple of weeks, communicating only with selected people.

By the time I switched the old one back on he had messaged several times and I had ostensibly "ignored."

Isabeller Tue 04-Nov-14 03:32:51

Change the name of the person to NO or DON'T READ. Worked for me.

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 03:38:39

What does Rap mean

CuttedUpPear Tue 04-Nov-14 04:16:53

Yes I agree.
Change the person's name to something derogatory.
Wanker, Do Not Call, Waste Of Space all work for me.

FolkGirl Tue 04-Nov-14 06:27:33

Don't text. Have an imaginary conversation with him. Tell him everything you want to say, 'hear' his response (be honest!!) and get it out of your system that way.

You already know it's a bad idea...

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 06:29:35

oh CRAP

I get it now

TwllBach Tue 04-Nov-14 06:46:51

Whatever you do, DO NOT wait until your internet goes down in a house that genuinely has no signal, then compose the text and hit send thinking it will be cathartic, then throw your phone on the sofa.

When you retrieve the phone you will realise that it landed in the one place in the whole living room that gives the phone a bar of signal and the fucking message SENT.

<dies>

Honestly, the only thing that worked for me was to buy a new phone and not transfer my original number, and this was just a friend who was trying to sever contact. It's a hideous feeling, I give you many flowersflowers for having to do it.

Anniegetyourgun Tue 04-Nov-14 07:38:47

Four days cold turkey, that's impressive! It's like an alcohol or smoking addiction, take it one step at a time, congratulate yourself for each milestone, and just tell yourself (and really want it to be true) "Today, I will not do this thing". And yeah, knitting is good smile Far more productive than shooting meaningless words into the ether.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now