Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

stupid c***ing twunt!

(9 Posts)
inneedofsomeclarity Sat 01-Nov-14 09:09:45

Good morning everyone,
excuse the swearing so early in the day but I am sp angry with my, thankfully, ex-husband. We split up 3 mths ago after 12 yrs of him constantly lying about big and tiny things and being financially clueless. I found out after he moved that he had taken out a £3500 loan behind my back in March, he says to pay off his overdraft, but he spent that and was over his £2000 overdraft limit within 6 weeks (he left behind all his paperwork and I found it) he had spent it on game add ons for his phone, nothing useful.
We have a joint account which we hadn't got round to changing over to my name, with a £1600 overdraft, which we were always into and all the household bils came from. I took over responsibilty for it when he went, including trying to pay off the overdraft. Anyway, got paid on wed and transferred £1200 into that acc to cover household bills for the month. Went to Asda yesterday and card wouldn't go through. When I got home, checked acc, money still there. Phoned the bank and they have frozen and are closing the acc because he has taken out an individual voluntary arrangement because he can no longer manage his debt. Because the acc is in debt, I can't get the money back and the bills are due to start coming out on mon.
Now, I know I should have changed it over to my name weeks ago but wasn't expecting this. This is the sort of thing I had to put up with for years and rihht now am really hating him. On top of that, all hell will break loose tomorrow because my dad, who has had to bail him out so many times, is insisting on telling his parents about the mess he is in (yes, I do feel about 12).
Just wanted to rant, thanks

wallaby73 Sat 01-Nov-14 09:28:44

Lordy i feel your frustration; it only underlines the fact that you were right to split......i can imagine your dad's "decision" makes you feel about 12, but this is not a reflection on you; from his pov, he has been bailing out someone else's son whilst watching his own daughter suffer. I suspect he's had enough and feels his feckless (ex) son in law's own parents need to be in thr picture and take the burden (as he must feel, even though it really isn't his) off him - and you. All the best x

Joysmum Sat 01-Nov-14 09:29:17

Omg I'm so sorry. Wish I had some words of wisdom to offer and hope somebody comes along soon who can.

This is one if the reasons I go against conventional MN wisdom and have resisted the lure of a joint account.

Nomama Sat 01-Nov-14 10:44:24

Hold on... they are freezing an account that pays out your bills and you have just put money in?

Ring them back on Monday and explain the 'hardship' this will cause you and your kids... the fact that it is a joint account and he may not yet be bankrupt should help

https://bankomb.org.nz/news-and-publications/quick-guides/item/stopping-and-freezing-accounts

Contact CAB and see what you can do, good luck

inneedofsomeclarity Sat 01-Nov-14 11:47:08

Thanks all,
just sometimes really helps to have a bit of impartial support. I have just lodged an official complaint with the ombudsman and the bank. Am so fed up with having to be the one to deal with the consequences of his twattishness.

Nomama Sat 01-Nov-14 11:50:24

How the hell did I end up linking to the New Zealand info?

I was reading the UK Ombudsman site?

OP - I am so sorry for such a numpty. Good luck with the ombudsman.

inneedofsomeclarity Sat 01-Nov-14 13:10:46

No worries Nomama, it still helped to focus my messy mind, so thanks anyway.

uggmum Sat 01-Nov-14 13:16:00

When an individual goes into an IVA it is standard practice for the bank to freeze the account.

However, as you are not party to the IVA if you can prove to the bank that the funds you transferred came from a sole account in your name they should allow you to withdraw those funds.

It might be worth asking your ex to contact his IVA practitioner and see if they can call the bank and discuss it. They can advise the bank to allow the withdrawal.

It takes at least 8 weeks for the ombudsman to look at a complaint so I would try the above first.

faithfaithfaith Sat 01-Nov-14 16:54:17

Get some advice. My ex was awful with money, after we split he took out an IVA and then still made himself bankrupt. Luckily all after we were divorced and house in my name.
Be careful this could be the start of something bigger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now