Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do MNHQ know if it's a troll??

(67 Posts)
kirsten123 Tue 14-Oct-14 11:50:02

Are they blimming psychic or summat?
Do they phone you up to check?

fairgame Tue 14-Oct-14 11:50:38

They have finely tuned troll radars wink

OwlCapone Tue 14-Oct-14 11:52:26

They aren't going to say as they might as well publish a guide on how to successfully troll MN.

HoneyDragonMumshnet Tue 14-Oct-14 11:54:18

They check the address they registered with to see its proximity to bridges.

fairgame Tue 14-Oct-14 11:56:01

OP there was a thread on this last night and MNHQ said that they would reveal how they know.
whispers: it's definitely troll radars

fairgame Tue 14-Oct-14 11:56:46

wouldn't not would! doh!

CheersMedea Tue 14-Oct-14 11:57:31

Imagine if you were in the middle of some genuine crisis and you were wrongly trolled out and your thread gone.

Alone, depressed, in a crisis and now also wrongly judged a troll.

LondonRocks Tue 14-Oct-14 11:57:48

They check the address they registered with to see its proximity to bridges.

grin

HerdyHerdwick Tue 14-Oct-14 11:58:16

What owl said.
Besides the most simple, but not infallible, way to find out if someone is a troll, there are other methods but they're not going to disclose them.

Why is this post on Relationships, btw?

HerdyHerdwick Tue 14-Oct-14 11:58:35

bridges grin

HerdyHerdwick Tue 14-Oct-14 11:59:20

They get the poster on their secret invisible webcam and check to see if it has hairy hands.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Tue 14-Oct-14 12:04:13

I'm so gullible! Honey I thought you were being serious grin

BOFster Tue 14-Oct-14 12:06:16

They can't say, can they? They might as well print a booklet called 'How To Troll So We Don't Spot You'.

kirsten123 Tue 14-Oct-14 12:06:31

Sorry, it was inspired by the disappearance of Hotpot.
(sad face)

seasavage Tue 14-Oct-14 12:22:04

Hotpot was fake? ! confused oh that's sad.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Tue 14-Oct-14 12:37:09

what happened on the hot pot thread? I only read the first page then missed the rest. Its just been referenced on another thread and I don't know what they are talking about.

patienceisvirtuous Tue 14-Oct-14 12:43:27

If you think about it some methods seem fairly obvious...

judypoops Tue 14-Oct-14 12:45:04

What was hotpot about? <nosey>

CheersMedea Tue 14-Oct-14 12:51:26

I don't know but I'm guessing from what I have read on the poofing thread that it was a troll pretending to have some kind of involvement with Brooks Newmark scandal.

DixieTreats Tue 14-Oct-14 13:41:06

My previous account was deleted - I presume I was branded a troll. I wasn't. I was genuinely in the middle of a huge crisis. Still am. Learned my lesson here though.

fairgame Tue 14-Oct-14 13:49:45

That's what worries me sometimes. What if they get it wrong? What if there is someone having a crisis and their support just gets zapped because they are wrongly branded a troll?
I didn't see the end of the hotpot thread, i got the bit where he left. It was all very believable at the start but apparently it got a bit silly towards the end.

Minus2seventy3 Tue 14-Oct-14 13:51:08

They don't always spot trolls correctly - my first thread on these boards was deleted for "posting to deceive", and I was banned - and subsequently reinstated after a bit of email tennis.
The pisser is, I was (still am, actually) pretty low, and the thought of others (who had helped through their replies) potentially thinking ill of you presuming that you're not genuine was just an extra little kick in the nuts.

CheersMedea Tue 14-Oct-14 13:54:20

They don't always spot trolls correctly - my first thread on these boards was deleted for "posting to deceive",

Wow! What did they say about "posting to deceive"? What was it about the original thread that made them think that?

How horrible if you are in a true crisis and get branded a troll. I apologise for my earlier comment on this thread. I was joking really as I didn't think it would really happen that a true thread would get nuked.

Quitelikely Tue 14-Oct-14 13:55:05

Well if someone has name changed they can go back over there older threads to see if their story adds up I.e they might have said on previous threads that they are married with five kids whereas under their NC they might only have 2 dc and be single y'know.

So IMO that's how they do it

Stupidhead Tue 14-Oct-14 13:57:45

I think they'd check ips against previously banned users or trolls or 'undecided'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now