Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

badass divorce lawyers

(6 Posts)
granny24 Wed 02-Apr-14 20:19:53

Husband walked out on a dear friend without any warning three weeks ago. She needs some legal advice asap. Anyone know of a really good divorce lawyer in Coventry?

TheSilveryPussycat Wed 02-Apr-14 21:02:30

No, but I can tell you my strategy for finding one.

This is what I did. I went on the Resolution site (which has lots of advice about divorce), and looked for solicitors in my area. I then picked out women solicitors and looked at their details, the most important was when they graduated, a sol with decades of experience will know all the tricks that spouses get up to during divorce.

I hoped to use Collaborative resolution process (see Resolution site), which requires both parties to appoint a solicitor each, both qualified in the collaborative process. But H (as he was then) refused to appoint a sol of any kind (though he did have a free initial interview with one).

So my sol was trained in that, but shit-hot in navigating the more usual way of divorcing - which is the route we had to go.

As my sol was a partner in her firm, I may have paid more than for someone more junior (I don't actually know if that would have been the case). But she was worth every penny.

olathelawyer05 Wed 02-Apr-14 22:37:23

The most important thing is to find a lawyer whose personality and approach matches up best with the approach you would prefer to take - this person could be managing a very important part of your life for the next 18 months. You can only gauge this by meeting them.

Think about it. Heather Mills had bad-ass city lawyers....who sacked her as a client when it became clear that they couldn't manage her erratic personality.

onetiredmummy Thu 03-Apr-14 11:21:22

No but do NOT use Button Legal for anything family related, I speak from experience.

Amateurish Thu 03-Apr-14 11:37:45

Pm me for a recommendation

MatureUniStudent Thu 03-Apr-14 14:57:04

Get your divorce heard in the family division of the high court. NOT your local court. The High Court was far better at shitty STBEXH than the local court. It is because they have seen it all before and have the judicial experience NOT to have the wool pulled over their eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now