Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do you cope going nc?

(5 Posts)
appletarts Tue 01-Apr-14 20:59:21

I have a brother who I can't keep having a relationship with anymore and after 15 years of trying I want to go no contact. I just feel unspeakably sad about it and keep wanting to go back in but I know I have to keep moving forward for the sake of my future happiness and well-being. I have been no contact for a month, I am presuming it gets easier, does it?

Tiptops Tue 01-Apr-14 21:46:19

Yes it does. At the moment you're still in a highly emotional and confusing state of mind. With time, the reasons for going NC become even clearer and more reassuring that you have made the right choice. I have gone NC with a family member and never looked back, it is such a weight off my shoulders.

Mummyoftwobeautifulpoppets Tue 01-Apr-14 22:03:27

I'm in a very similar position apple so I'll be lurking. The guilt and sadness is horrible isn't it, but I'm holding onto the thought that it gets better thanks

Lottapianos Tue 01-Apr-14 22:09:14

Also lurking. I am very low contact with my emotionally abusive parents - just that itself was hard and the guilt was overwhelming but it has definitely become easier and my life is better for it. Couldn't have done it without psychotherapy.

Dutch1e Tue 01-Apr-14 23:34:17

It does. And every time you catch yourself feeling happy or not flinching when the phone rings, it gets a little bit easier. Watch out for the occasional attack of nostalgia though - nothing worse than a case of the warm fuzzies to undo your hard work smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now