Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What is a mother?

(7 Posts)
juneybean Sun 30-Mar-14 17:29:13

Currently having a bit of a hard time with my mum at the minute and wondering what other posters sort of expect from a mother. I don't think expect is the right word so I'm hoping I'll get the right responses but really what is it about your mother that makes her a mother?

I think my mum tries too hard to be a best friend than a mother and I end up lacking something that's not there :/ Please don't flame me, I had wanted to name changed really, but hmm

Slothlorien Sun 30-Mar-14 17:30:35

Unconditional love and protection from harm.
I didn't get these from my 'friend' mother.

UriGeller Sun 30-Mar-14 17:32:34

A person who has given birth to a child surely. Whatever your relationship and however it plays out, the woman is your mother.

notyetpastit Sun 30-Mar-14 17:37:57

Not sure I can answer your question juneybean as DD2 tells me she doesn't want a friend but a mother. As she is approaching her 30s (she's unmarried/no kids. I am fine with her situation but for financial reasons she still lives at home) I feel it would be more adult for us to have a friendly relationship now even though I appreciate she will always be my child. I'd also like to know what other Mumsnetters think.

juneybean Sun 30-Mar-14 18:13:40

That's interesting notyetpastit I'm in your daughters position. I just find that if we argue, she gets defensive, and gives me the cold shoulder for days on end.

TeenAndTween Sun 30-Mar-14 20:09:41

Uri A person who has given birth to a child surely. Whatever your relationship and however it plays out, the woman is your mother.

Yes and No. By your narrow definition I'm not a mother as I've never given birth.
However I do have 2 beautiful daughters.

Unconditional love and protection from harm sounds about right. Caring for you when you are ill. Being willing to go without, so you can have what you need. Being there through your highs and lows, for good or ill. Guiding you through life until you can be independent, and then being there for you later.

notyetpastit Sun 30-Mar-14 20:38:37

juneybean if we disagree and she gets huffy then I just let it go for a quiet life!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: