Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Facebook 'Poke App'

(11 Posts)
FoxyTerrier Sat 29-Mar-14 18:35:10

Will try to be brief. DH had affair, but we have been doing really well the past 5 months. He has been 'no contact' with OW, and we have been making great progress. I have no reason to not trust him (which seems ironic to say). Last night, he had posted something on FB...he hadn't done this for months. He was showing me something online, and suddenly OW picture came up, with a 'poke'. He went pale, and looked horrified to be honest (but not guilty). It then disappeared, without trace. I believe there is an app where you can poke someone, and it disappears after 10 seconds (it was literally seconds). Is this right, or do 'old pokes' sometimes just resurface randomly? Sorry, I am a bit of a luddite, and have only just got to grips with Facebook...this threw me. Not because I think they have been in contact, but just want to know what she is up to?....or if it's a techno fault.

If the former, should I just ignore it? Don't know why, I have been feeling so positive, and like we were really moving forward. The affair wasn't at the forefront of my mind ALL the time...now I feel a bit flattened.

Anyone know?

mammadiggingdeep Sat 29-Mar-14 18:40:07

Never heard of 'poke' app. I just know that you can 'poke' someone when u see them on line. She would have poked him as you saw it...that's my understanding anyway

RelaxinRadox Sat 29-Mar-14 18:42:58

Snapchat is an app that shows a pic briefly then disappears.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Sat 29-Mar-14 18:46:37

Ask him!

FoxyTerrier Sat 29-Mar-14 18:46:43

Mama thank you. God, it all seems so pathetic...I'd never heard of it either - no desire to poke anybody! But we did try poking each other later, and it remains in your notifications...this didn't, it just disappeared completely, which is how this app works apparently..and you can use it on friends, or friends of friends confused...(they are not friends, but have 'mutual friends'. She is now blocked. Bloody social media.

FoxyTerrier Sat 29-Mar-14 18:48:25

Toohard I did ask him! He was sitting right next to me. He is as fucked off as I am.

mammadiggingdeep Sat 29-Mar-14 18:54:01

Yes...snapchat is a pic thing that come up but you have to press an icon to show the pic, the pic wouldn't just come up.

As long as he blocked her, she won't b able to do it again.

I know, social media has a lot to answer for I think sad

FoxyTerrier Sat 29-Mar-14 18:57:05

Agreed Mama...hate it! Has destabilised things...I'm probably being over sensitive.

Wishyouwould Sat 29-Mar-14 19:17:43

It could well be an old poke. If he's not been on Facebook for ages it would come up when he logged in. Must be tough for you ((hugs))

FoxyTerrier Sat 29-Mar-14 19:21:49

Thanks Wishyouwould....it's not the first time she has tried to re-establish contact, though I thought things were settling down. Am just not convinced it's an old one. I guess it makes not difference to 'us' in the great scheme of things, has just triggered lots of feelings that I felt I was moving past. Will get there in the end smile

Wishyouwould Sat 29-Mar-14 19:24:55

Btw you can poke someone at anytime you don't have to be online.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now