Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Emergency injunction advice please?

(6 Posts)
AShadowStirsWithin Thu 27-Mar-14 11:47:09

Hi, I had a thread in chat at the weekend, can't link as on iPad. I was in the process of separating from abusive P when he became violent and I had to call the police. He was turfed out at the weekend.

This morning I've had a call from a DV support agency. They have advised me that I could get an emergency injunction if I wanted and that I'd need to call today because it needs to be within 5-7 days of the incident.

I have been offered one before and declined because I thought it would be like poking a bees nest. I'm currently more inclined to think I should do it.
I'm just wavering though. I had previously thought he would never do x or y and he proved me wrong so I don't think I can confidently say "he will leave me alone now". So, if you've had one would you advise others to, if you read my thread would you advise me to? I think I just need reassurance that I am justified in going down this route, just like I needed a kick to call the police at the weekend etc.

I need to show him that his actions have consequences don't i? And that I will act to protect the DCs.

LavenderGreen14 Thu 27-Mar-14 12:12:11

I would do it - I think he poked the nest when he was violent towards you. Ultimately you need to protect yourself and your children. I can understand it is very scary to do it, but imagine once done you will feel immense relief. I agree about consequences wholeheartedly.

SolidGoldBrass Thu 27-Mar-14 12:21:20

Definitely go for it. If nothing else, it helps to demonstrate to him that he is not above the law and not entitled to mistreat you. It also gives you breathing space to build a firm defence structure against him for the future.

Noregrets78 Thu 27-Mar-14 13:26:21

Might be worth posting in legal? e.g. - there are a range of emergency injunctions, you need to be clear on what it is you're asking for. Is this an occupation order to keep him out of the house?

My legal advice was to be careful - as an emergency injunction has to be followed up with a more permanent one. I absolutely don't want to put you off, and you are totally justified in doing this (my XH was similar). But make sure you do something that is going to work, do not give him the opportunity to get one over on you.

AShadowStirsWithin Thu 27-Mar-14 14:23:24

Yes see this is why I'm wavering. I just don't know. There's no concrete evidence of any of the abuse, it's always been my word against his. I'm wary of engaging in a legal battle when he may simply slink off (he's moving in with another women on 4th April).

DV unit have organised for home security stuff to be done - locks changed, window alarms etc. I don't leave DCs at nursery so he has no opportunity to take them. ATM it feels as though I'd be re engaging with him.

AShadowStirsWithin Thu 27-Mar-14 14:24:28

Might give women's aid a ring later and chat to someone there. I've got until tomorrow I think time wise so if I get on the phone to them tonight I might be clearer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now