Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

barristers????

(7 Posts)
bossmum41 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:04:59

i have a FDR hearing in a couple of weeks and solicitor says i need a barrister i cant believe how much this is going to cost , i don't have the money , do i need one? anyone had any experience with an FDR and do you advise me to invest in barrister? ive heard so many different things for and against?

PoppyField Wed 26-Mar-14 10:09:41

Will the other side have a barrister? And yes, lots and lots of money. If you've got to an FDR then you must have an awkward so-and-so for a STBXH.

How would you characterise your divorce proceedings so far? Hostile, obstructive, acrimonious?

I only got as far as an initial hearing and it was terrifying. Having a good barrister on your side would make you feel a whole lot more confident. If he's got a barrister then I would definitely want one.

Is there any chance you can get to a negotiated settlement before getting to court even at this late stage.

More info needed - and I'm not expert. There are much more qualified people on here. Perhaps you would do well to post this in Legal.

Good luck

bossmum41 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:18:16

just sent first proposal to him. hes been ok just wants it over with asap. will post in legal thanks x

bouncyagain Wed 26-Mar-14 13:03:38

Your solicitor should be capable of doing the FDR.

brokenhearted55a Wed 26-Mar-14 16:11:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bouncyagain Wed 26-Mar-14 19:40:03

Yes, you're right, a brief fee might be less. We're assuming that the solicitor won't be sitting there as well! Sorry, I find litigation solicitors who won't do their own advocacy a complete wind up. And if it is as amicable as the OP's post suggests them it is appalling that the solicitor has let it get anywhere near an FDR.

brokenhearted55a Wed 26-Mar-14 22:43:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now