Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Don't understand

(23 Posts)
cargotrousers Tue 25-Mar-14 16:53:58

WWY think if you found an email saying your OH had signed up to a dating website but when you signed in, his profile said he is older than his real age (by more than 5 years) and he is 2 inches taller and his birth sign is different? Would you think it was a web glitch, spam, or him covering his tracks? Oddly his pword is his email address and username his email address with words reordered. Seems like it could have been set up by the site but in my heart of herts I know this is unlikely. Location given is a nearby city but all other details are off m, IYSWIM?

Ivehearditallnow Tue 25-Mar-14 16:58:42

COVERING HIS TRACKS.

Sorry. Dirty git. Confront him.

thanks

Smilesandpiles Tue 25-Mar-14 17:03:00

Covering his tracks. Sorry.

TheLastNameLeft Tue 25-Mar-14 17:05:38

Do You have any other reasons to suspect he would do this himself?

Bogeyface Tue 25-Mar-14 17:07:28

Yep, covering his tracks so you dont immediately realise that it is him.

What a dick for using his normal email address, not the sharpest card in the pack is he?

HillyHolbrook Tue 25-Mar-14 17:36:29

Track covering I'm afraid sad

Albeit not very well done if he used his usual emailhmm

AnyFucker Tue 25-Mar-14 17:40:01

Datign websites do not set up fake accounts using RL email addresses.

You have him bang to rights, love. What now ?

FolkGirl Tue 25-Mar-14 18:10:02

Covering his tracks so that if you decide to check if he is on dating websites you can't find him by using accurate search criteria.

Absolutely no other reason.

Ivehearditallnow Tue 25-Mar-14 18:10:58

Don't acknowledge any feeble attempts by him or anyone else to minimise. Please

cargotrousers Tue 25-Mar-14 18:29:20

Not the first time he's lied. But to my knowledge he's ever been unfaithful before (together for more than 10 years). I'm not confronting now. I want to see how this plays out so I don't want him to know I know just yet. I'd like time to think through my options, get legal advice on my rights so that I am in control of what happens next. So there won't be any dramatic news or updates for now. Thanks for feedback, I appreciate it.

AnyFucker Tue 25-Mar-14 18:31:29

Good luck x

chateauferret Tue 25-Mar-14 19:01:25

Why wast time seeing how it plays out? The way it'll play out is more of the same outrageous shite. You already know he's a duplicitous twat. Make it clear that his feeble attempt to deceive has failed utterly and kick his arse out.

Logg1e Tue 25-Mar-14 19:06:15

Good luck OP (I think in this situation I'd be approaching him on the site with an alias).

RedRoom Tue 25-Mar-14 19:33:10

If it's a common dating site like plentyoffish or match.com then there is no way they would risk legal action by making a fake profile using pics of real people who aren't models. One thing to consider is the picture he us using: is it on any public site such as Facebook? TBH, the fact that communication is coming to his normal email address sounds terribly fishy and not at all like someone has set it up on his behalf. They'd need a picture, his email address, approximate location etc- why would they bother? Personally, I'd register and message him as someone else. If you have the email and password, you should be able to see what kind of account activity has gone on, too.

hookedonchoc Tue 25-Mar-14 19:45:35

On many dating sites the only way to look at people's profiles is to set up your own profile first. Might he have created a fake profile just so he could look at others' profiles? Without necessarily any intent to follow through just to see how the site worked. I did this when a single friend asked me to look over her profile for her. Just saying there are innocent explanations (though not many).

DumbleDee Tue 25-Mar-14 19:52:54

I'd be tempted to creat a fake profile and check it out tbh.(though. I accept I'm the need to know as much as I can first sort of person). I wouldn't hold out much hope though. sad
good luck OP

DumbleDee Tue 25-Mar-14 19:54:08

Oh one thing you should also be able to check when he last logged in you can often tell from their profile. couldn't be a very very old one could it pre you?

cargotrousers Tue 25-Mar-14 20:02:22

No he registered two days ago. No pic on profile. It's not POF or anything, that's partly why I'm so confused by it, as its a dating site for an interest that he's not part of - don't want to say which as it may out me but imagine a dating site for a very particular group of people its not this but something as precise as new age types/rockabillys. That's why I don't understand because its something he jas never shown any interest in - thats why i find it so random and odd! hmm

FolkGirl Tue 25-Mar-14 20:08:48

I would be tempted to join too and show an interest in him.

It looks to me as though he's looking to meet someone else, but is doing his utmost to not be found by you. Sorry.

DumbleDee Tue 25-Mar-14 20:28:50

Hmmm sounds dodgy then sorry x

Ivehearditallnow Wed 26-Mar-14 14:17:11

I woundn't get in to setting up a fake account tbh.

Ask him - and see what he says? x

Meerka Wed 26-Mar-14 19:36:07

screenie / photo the details btw. Because they're solid objective evidence and can't be minimized if he deletes them.

cargotrousers Wed 26-Mar-14 19:52:34

Already done and filed away safely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now