Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Jekyll and Hyde

(7 Posts)
teenagersknowall Tue 25-Mar-14 08:56:03

just wondering. is it normal for your husband/partner to be really grumpy in the morning bit Mr Nice Guy in the evening. i can time when i know he's going to be in a good mood and when he's not. Just put up with it?

CoffeeTea103 Tue 25-Mar-14 08:59:37

Some people are just not 'morning' people. I'm one of them, takes me a while to fully get into the day. But I'm not rude or snappy to anyone, just less talkative.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 25-Mar-14 09:00:04

Depends on your definition of 'grumpy'. Some people are not good company in the mornings - bit quiet and want to be left to wake up. Others need some food inside them before they spark into life.... mildly hypoglycaemic. Someone who drinks alcohol in the evening might struggle to get going in the morning. If he has interrupted sleep because of snoring, ditto. How's his general health?

But if you mean 'grumpy' in a more serious way... angry, verbally abusive, unpleasant .... then that's not IMHO acceptable.

onetiredmummy Tue 25-Mar-14 12:27:29

DP can be quiet & unsmiley in the mornings but after 30 mins he's back to normal.

Ex H was a bastard in the mornings due to cocaine abuse & this was not acceptable.

Give an example of 'grumpy' OP, how bad is it?

teenagersknowall Tue 25-Mar-14 13:35:12

thanks for replies Mners. He's picky. not aggressive or abusive. He doesn't drink much either. It just gets me down because I'm waiting for what the problem will be that morning. This mornings' problem was shirts. I hadn't got the one he wanted to wear with his suit ironed. But, i had ironed 3 others. He then says its ok, this one will be fine. But it quite obviously isnt. i want to tell him to feck off. I'm not his maid. etc etc, but that will lead to a row. He often phones and says sorry for being cranky. he's got a lot on at work and i have said his moods are not acceptable any more. tbh i don't take any shit off him and he has taken on board what i've said. there was a huge improvement for a few weeks, but its creeping back in again. Maybe i'm too sensitive or something. I lack the backbone to stand up to him.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 25-Mar-14 19:18:44

He may not be aggressive or abusive but what you're describing is 'bullying' and it's unacceptable - as is the ridiculous excuse of 'having a lot on at work'. No matter how bad a time anyone is having outside the home, it is no justification for punishing those they are meant to love. None whatsoever.

You have to stand up to bullying every step of the way because, as you've found, it can be squashed if you don't cave. 'Feck off'... possibly not the right phrasing smile but always be assertive.

teenagersknowall Tue 25-Mar-14 20:30:45

thank you Cogito. you are a wise owl. i think we have messaged each other before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now