Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone else got a redundant partner at home?

(5 Posts)
grants1000 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:44:14

Eeeh Gods, I've had it. It's not good to be together THIS much. I work from home and his hovering is soooo annoying. He may have a contact job meaning he will be away Monday to Friday and my first reaction is releif; is that bad? I love him to bits but sheesh enough now, it's like being retired.

trinitybleu Mon 24-Mar-14 21:48:25

Yes, but I like it. We get on best when we spend lots of time together. I work from home 2 days a week and it's been lovely having lunch together, chatting over a cuppa during the day ... He's actually sleeping in the spare room for medical reasons and it's killing me. Can't wait to have him back in our bed (4 weeks down, 2 to go) smile

grants1000 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:55:38

Ha ha ha I say cynically, that was us 8 months ago, happy luncheoning etc etc but now NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I want to miss him and get excited by hearing his key in the lock, but now I bristle when he comes in the room for the 16th day this morning

trinitybleu Tue 25-Mar-14 19:25:37

lol ... well it's only been 2 so far and he's on crutches so can't get upstairs too often!

what kind of work is your OH looking for?

Nomama Wed 26-Mar-14 16:18:18

Oh yes! In the last 3 years he has probably been at home for about 1 year in all, 8 months the last time. His work is well paid but a bit sporadic.

I used to get annoyed that he didn't make the house perfect, I used to hate that he was there all the time, I used to hate that it felt a bit less like our home and a bit more like his.

But I talked about it and made sure he knew that I was aware I was being unreasonable but couldn't help it. He agreed with me, understood what I meant and promised to try not to take offence if I grumped (note the 'try').

He's back at work now and has said that he regrets some of the time he wasted doing 'stuff' (like MN but for men, presumably). But hey ho! We survived it, again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now