Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Supporting a Friend/Ex With Mental Health Issues

(2 Posts)
LessMissAbs Mon 24-Mar-14 12:50:28

Has anyone else been there, when everyone else tells you he is a dick and to leave him to it? How do you support someone you suspect is suffering from depression and related anxiety/goodness knows what, but who keeps it secret? He obviously isn't right, and is sort of withdrawing from all his usual interests. His mother is also terribly ill, but he doesn't respond that well to anything but texts.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 24-Mar-14 15:03:58

If you think he is clinically depressed etc then the correct support is to get him medical help. You can, for example, contact his GP, explain your concerns and ask them to pay him and his mother a house-call. If you think his mental condition means his mother is being neglected you could even alert Social Services.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: