Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

long term partner left me and ds - what do I do

(8 Posts)
njb321 Sat 22-Mar-14 22:48:17

I am in the UK but partner is from abroad (Spain), we have been together for nearly 20 years. We are not married but have 1 ds who is a teenager. Partner went back home to deal with some family business but has not returned back to the UK. For a few months before the trip back home I discovered texts, facebook messages etc to another woman from his home country. We had argued about it but he said it was all innocent. I assume he is now with her. I am shocked etc but need advice as what to do regarding money issues etc. Mortgage, 4 credit cards (maxed out), van and one bank account (used up all his overdraft) in his name. I work but cannot afford to run the house on just my wage. Please can anyone give me any advice for this situation. Thank you

pookamoo Sat 22-Mar-14 22:51:31

You will need to get yourself some advice from a solicitor first thing on Monday morning.

If the debts, van etc are in his sole name, they are his problem, but you need to get yourself dome protection for you and DS re. your home.

So sorry to hear you are going through this.

pookamoo Sat 22-Mar-14 22:52:03

And make sure your salary is going into an account in your sole name.

njb321 Sat 22-Mar-14 23:00:23

the credit cards and bank account are in his sole name. Mortgage is joint with me. He is the registered keeper of the van. Would I get a reduction in council tax, who would i see to get help regarding benefits (although I work) ? Does anyone know what will happen regarding the mortgage. He is refusing to speak to me at all at the moment.

njb321 Sat 22-Mar-14 23:02:34

My work salary goes into my sole bank account. I have a lot of debt (credit cards, catalogues etc) in my name.

LavenderGreen14 Sat 22-Mar-14 23:06:57

You call the council regarding council tax, and you claim working tax credits from HMRC - info HERE. You will need to speak to your bank about the mortgage.

geologygirl Sat 22-Mar-14 23:08:36

On monday, spk to a solicitor. Call the council re housing ben, council tax. Call HMRC re tax credits. Call the mortgafe company and explain situation. Maybe they can help with practical advice and payment break or reduction etc while things are being sorted. Sorry this has happened.

njb321 Sat 22-Mar-14 23:24:35

Would I have to pay for a solicitor? What help could the CAB give me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now