Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I contact my mum?

(5 Posts)
ArrivedAtPanicStation Fri 21-Mar-14 20:54:55

Back story - She's an alcoholic, she has dry patches which can last months at a time.

Last saw her in December when she came round for Christmas. We were both busy with work after that (she had xmas temp job)

Didn't speak to her for most of Jan, she was hard to get hold of after the first week, which normally means she's drinking.

Beginning of Feb she left me some really distressing voicemails when i was at work, almost incoherent, asking me to call her. Then saying to a man "I need help"

Rang her back later that day and a paramedic answered the phone, she was off her face but refusing to go to hospital for treatment. Said I couldn't help her. Didn't hear any more from her after that.

She then sent DD a valentines card on valentines day. Text her and ask her not to send anything to DD (Was still mad at her)

Not heard from her since.... I miss her so much. Never sure if I should contact her or not.

tribpot Fri 21-Mar-14 20:58:39

What would you get out of contacting her? She knows where you are.

Have you been in contact with Al Anon?

Spinaroo Fri 21-Mar-14 20:59:19

Sorry you are having such a hard time. Yes, if you want contact with her then of course you should. It's up to you how much contact she has with your child. Is there someone you can talk to about it?

thegreylady Fri 21-Mar-14 21:04:15

Unless she has been abusive to you or your child then of course you should contact her and encourage (supervised) contact with your dd.

ArrivedAtPanicStation Fri 21-Mar-14 21:07:45

She knows that there's no point in contacting me, because I'll ignore her. She always waits for me to come to her.

Yes I used to frequent Al Anon and did do for years. I still use the boards now, but don't find it over helpful any more.

I just miss her (sober her)

Spinaroo - I don't really have anyone to talk to about her, because everyone has cut her off. All her family and friends haven't spoken to her for well over years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now