Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Urgent help regarding finances after husband has affair and leaves ???

(14 Posts)
Mintymoomoo Wed 19-Mar-14 18:10:00

Quick question my lovely friend found out a few weeks ago that her husband of 20 years has been having a affair with a 20 year old!

She has just told me she is struggling on her low wages and has not yet tried to claim any additional benefits!

I told her she needs to contact child support ASAP but she thinks she won't get it because at the moment he is still paying mortgage and bills, like I told her this is early days and this could change at any point!

Am I right in thinking she would be entilted to some tax credit help?

MissScatterbrain Wed 19-Mar-14 18:19:10

This blog should help

She needs to look into tax credits, council tax, CSA and benefits.

lookingfoxy Wed 19-Mar-14 18:28:39

Www.turn2us.org.uk

lookingfoxy Wed 19-Mar-14 18:29:48

I don't think she'll get child support if he's paying the mortgage and bills but she should get tsx credits.

Mintymoomoo Wed 19-Mar-14 18:32:51

Ok great thanks do you know where she stands regarding the house? It there home and they have a mortgage, would she be entilted to housing benefit to help cover cost of mortgage if she ever stopped paying this ?

KidsDontThinkImCool Wed 19-Mar-14 18:46:09

Don't think you can get housing benefit to cover a mortgage but you do get a single adult reduction on your council tax. What she really needs to do is get some legal advice ASAP to get some formal financial arrangements in place. I'm so sorry for your friend, i know exactly how horrible it is to go through that.

KidsDontThinkImCool Wed 19-Mar-14 18:46:18

Don't think you can get housing benefit to cover a mortgage but you do get a single adult reduction on your council tax. What she really needs to do is get some legal advice ASAP to get some formal financial arrangements in place. I'm so sorry for your friend, i know exactly how horrible it is to go through that.

Ducky23 Wed 19-Mar-14 18:49:18

She wouldn't be entitled to housing benefit, she could claim council tax support and tax credits depending on her income sad

Mintymoomoo Wed 19-Mar-14 18:54:50

Thank you she did go to CAB today but didn't appear to get very good advice she was still convinced she couldn't claim tax credits, like I said to her its early days and him paying mortgage and bills could change very suddenly it's only been 2 weeks so far!

Ducky23 Wed 19-Mar-14 18:58:28

It's likely that she can't because as long as he is paying for mortgage etc they will count that as income sad

Sidge Wed 19-Mar-14 19:03:08

She needs to phone tax credits and start a claim as a single person - if he's moved out then this should be very straightforward. It will help if she has her P60 from last year to hand, as well as any childcare costs and additional income details.

Him paying the mortgage etc shouldn't be a problem as long as she can demonstrate she lives there alone and is starting the process of financial separation.

She can also apply for a single adult discount on her council tax if he's not living in the property.

Housing benefit is not payable for mortgages but some authorities can offer temporary assistance towards the interest part of the mortgage payments but not the capital. It could be worth her while to call the housing benefit department of the local council.

She should see a solicitor ASAP as they can help her discuss a financial support package from her ex, as well as contact arrangements for any children.

Monetbyhimself Wed 19-Mar-14 19:19:57

She needs to take steps to protect herself financially.

One if the priblems with affaira is that the cheater has had lots of time to plan and decide what will happen regarding finances, protecting themselves, funding their affair, meeting the demands if OW.
Paying the mortgage and bills initially is a sure fire attempt to demonstrate what a 'good' bloke he is. Unfortunately if she doesn't play ball and behave as she is expected to, by him and OW, then the threat of not paying bills and mortgage is often used as a control mechanism.

If she's had no joy from CAB maybe try a different branch- they seem to vary hugely in terms of how accurate their advice is. The best thing for her to do is to remove herself from him financially so a consultation with a solicitor is a good option.

LavenderGreen14 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:25:13

any money he pays is not taken into account with working tax credit - she will need to call them to make the claim. I wouldn't advise her to hang around for advice from CAB - especially when they are giving the wrong info.

KidsDontThinkImCool Wed 19-Mar-14 20:21:31

I didn't find CAB terribly helpful. Things she can do immediately (like tomorrow!):

1. phone the council and tell them she is in a single adult household - she will get council tax discount straight away
2. phone the tax credit helpline 0345 300 3900
3. phone the child benefit helpline 0300 200 3100

then she will need to get a lawyer to discuss who is paying the bills/mortgage, what she's entitled to in child support etc but that could be a long process

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now