Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is there ever a reason to say to your DS...

(25 Posts)
Hardrockhallelujah Tue 18-Mar-14 23:33:34

... If you don't stop that now , I'll smash your face in?

mortonstoe Tue 18-Mar-14 23:45:07

No

flipchart Tue 18-Mar-14 23:45:41

I have said it to my kids but it is always when they have been teasing me and everything is lighthearted - and they were over 12,

Can't imagine it ever being appropriate any other time though.

Hardrockhallelujah Tue 18-Mar-14 23:47:43

Ok thank you - this is what I thought too.

meditrina Tue 18-Mar-14 23:51:52

No.

I suppose that if it were grossly exaggerated and clearly a joke, it might be OK, but I'd still find the language too aggressive. Unlike 'I'll rip your arm off and beat you round the head with the soggy end' which I find OK as it's clearly absurd and would never be said as an actual threat, unlike example in OP which might be.

tallwivglasses Wed 19-Mar-14 00:46:02

So, your OH said this to DS? 'Smash your face in' - it's very graphic, isn't it?

HippoCritic Wed 19-Mar-14 05:43:39

No. I do make absurdly violent jokey warnings but that sounds very aggressive/meant to be intimidating.

MrsKCastle Wed 19-Mar-14 06:07:59

No.

As other posters say, I might possibly make a really exaggerated joke which they know is just ridiculous. But no, never 'smash your face in'.

Boris13 Wed 19-Mar-14 06:09:50

Doesn't sound like a 'joke' phrase to me!

GertTheFlirt Wed 19-Mar-14 06:10:44

How about "I'll cut your head off and put it on a stick" ? a'la olde London Bridge style

Meglet Wed 19-Mar-14 06:27:23

No!

I have heard similar phrases barked by other parents in public though.

Flicktheswitch Wed 19-Mar-14 06:43:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flipchart Wed 19-Mar-14 07:59:01

Ha! Just me then! Like I said it was very much in jest with no malice and the kids aren't little.

Hardrockhallelujah Wed 19-Mar-14 09:23:48

That's a big assumption, tallwivglasses smile No, I heard someone say it earlier and it was bothering me.

cory Wed 19-Mar-14 09:24:28

Like meditrina and HippoCritic, if I were to make a joke threat I'd make it absurdly violent partly to signal that this really is a joke, partly because there is no point in a joke that isn't funny. |"I'll smash your face in" simply isn't funny. Unlike the Wodehouse phrase "I'll pull your head off and make you swallow it".

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 19-Mar-14 09:29:36

Actually I do say it to DS as a joke because we're both big Morecambe and Wise fans and that's one of Eric Morecambe's old catchphrases.... grabbing hold of the lapels and saying 'I'll smash your face in'.

flipchart Wed 19-Mar-14 09:42:25

As I said it's a joke and the response I get is 'You'll have to get a step ladder first' (DS2 is 14 and 5ft 9 andDS1 is 6ft3)

hubster Wed 19-Mar-14 09:57:14

It all depends on how it's said. If it's said in an aggressive way to ds then I'd say it is inappropriate. But if it's said in a way that's know to him as jokey then I think it's fine. smile

MysweetAudrina Wed 19-Mar-14 10:13:39

It depends on the person and how colourful their language is the rest of the time. Some people just speak like that but they are not actually threatening people as in the child would not take it literally. It doesnt sound nice though and it does depend on how much anger was behind the threat. I normally threaten a crack on the arse as it doesnt sound as violent

Lweji Wed 19-Mar-14 10:19:23

Jokey threats by me are usually throwing out the window (absurdly OTT) or a smack on the bum (not particularly violent).
Other threats of violence are more of the you would deserve a smack for that.

Smack your face in sounds very threatening and too real.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 19-Mar-14 10:28:01

The answer to this is all about context. Me grabbing DS by the lapels, looking at him over the specs Eric Morecambe-style, putting on the funny voice and saying 'I'll smash your face in' ... is a joke. If it's some angry red-faced bloke saying 'I'll smash your face in' as a serious threat... not acceptable.

karmakoala Wed 19-Mar-14 10:31:56

Depends how it's delivered? I say all manner of 'terrible' things to ds, his favourite is when I threaten to rip off his leg and beat him with the soggy end smile

Hardrockhallelujah Thu 20-Mar-14 17:04:04

I couldn't see the context as heard through the window. When I looked out, I could see a man and a little boy walking down the road. It bothered me all evening...

Andy1964 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:43:54

No, not in a serious context!

However I am often (jokingly) going to beat my children up if they don't do what they are told.
I actually do (play) beat them up which is easy with the youngest but the eldest is 14, nearly my height and strong so it's becoming more of a struggle. I have to 'do him' by stealth!

cory Thu 20-Mar-14 19:57:48

If it's a quotation, as with Cogito, then it could well be funny; the joke is in the reference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now