Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Decree Absolute!

(19 Posts)
Moanranger Tue 18-Mar-14 22:50:16

Well it has been just over a year since my (as of today) XH declared his non-love of me. What an emotional roller-coaster it has been! But when I got the Decree through today, I feel as though a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I hope the worst now is past.
I am extremely grateful to my lawyer; she petitioned the court in late July, so 8 months to divorce, pretty good, so if anyone needs a good family lawyer in London pm me. Finances still not settled, but I just wanted to share this moment

talullah57 Tue 18-Mar-14 22:56:09

Congratulations to you! I have a way to go. May I ask a question though? I thought once you had the Absolute that meant all the finances were settled? I am so confused by all this.
I wish you a very very happy future xxx

LCHammer Tue 18-Mar-14 22:56:44

Have a good new beginning.

Moanranger Wed 19-Mar-14 00:05:50

Tallulah - you are supposed to try & settle them but my ex is extraordinarily difficult, so I asked my lawyer to go for the absolute. I am in the less common case of having my x trying to get money from me, rather than vice versa. The finance issues are yet to be resolved.

talullah57 Wed 19-Mar-14 00:07:36

oh ok. thank you for clarifying that as you had me worried!!!! My wishes for you are for the very best. Take care and thank you for sharing this xxx

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 19-Mar-14 00:58:40

Best wishes, Moanranger, wishing you the start of a wonderful new life.

handfulofcottonbuds Wed 19-Mar-14 01:06:44

I wish you all the best too.

Can I ask why it's taken this amount of time? I got a letter today saying that the judge agrees to the divorce under adultery so I can now apply for the decree nisi - I was expecting it all to be complete in about 4 months.

Our finances will take a lot longer to sort out too as he is hiding money.

talullah57 Wed 19-Mar-14 01:23:16

Mine is hiding money too. He has been a total shit. I won't be signing ANYTHING til I know it's all above board.

handfulofcottonbuds Wed 19-Mar-14 01:36:02

Sadly it costs a lot of money to find out though doesn't it talullah.

Good luck though.

BeforeAndAfter Wed 19-Mar-14 08:36:07

I didn't apply for decree absolute until finances were sorted so there was about a year between nisi and absolute. Glad I did that as he must have proposed to OW the day the absolute came through. It would have been so much harder to negotiate finances if he'd been married to her plus, where would I have been if he'd died? He stalled on finances so I had to apply to court for a timetable. Breach of that would have been contempt of court so it focused his mind.

Congratulations moan I'm sure you'll be delighted when the last bit is sorted and sorry for the mini hijack!

mammadiggingdeep Wed 19-Mar-14 08:38:30

Congratulations. Too early for a wine but cheers anyway.

You sound so positive. Wishing you all the best
X

mammadiggingdeep Wed 19-Mar-14 08:39:03

Ps- hey cottonbuds...hope you're ok. flowers

Lweji Wed 19-Mar-14 08:40:45

Congratulations. smile

Have some cake.

Moanranger Wed 19-Mar-14 08:54:44

Wow, Lweji thanks!
Handre time - I thought it was rather quick - 8 months.
They are shits. I run a business & my ex has delusions of grandeur as to how much it is worth. He is also taking me to an industrial tribunal for unfair dismissal - another story. He too was the culpable one, having started a relationship with another woman. This does not seem to stop them being d**ks, though.

SpringyReframed Wed 19-Mar-14 08:59:59

Congratulations!! Absolutely wink wonderful news! I can imagine how you feel.

I am envious. Just emailed my solicitor to chase things. It is at the point of the agreement being signed and I am getting twitchy.

LOVE THE CAKE! grin

BeforeAndAfter Wed 19-Mar-14 09:02:59

That'll be an interesting tribunal...

I can't believe he'd actually sue you for unfair dismissal. What a vexatious knob. Hopefully that will come through loud and clear.

handfulofcottonbuds Wed 19-Mar-14 13:12:08

Hello mamma, I'm good thanks flowers

moanranger - I hope teh tribunal throws the case out for wasting time. Good luck in your new life x

Granville72 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:18:22

Congratulations, it is sad (in a way) and lovely when the Absolute comes through. Feels such a weight off your shoulders.

Hope you get every thing else sorted out soon

Moanranger Wed 19-Mar-14 15:02:50

Re industrial tribunal - he actually has a case. My lawyers ( I now have 3!) are asking for a stay. However I have now found out from 3rd one that I cannot defend the case as if he wins it would make my company insolvent. Rather interesting & esoteric point of law. I hate having all these lawyers, but they appear to add value. So far, he has got nothing off me & I hope it remains that way.
He is going to go ballistic when this all comes down, but the law is on my side.
Initially I made him a reasonable offer for the business which he turned down flat, deciding instead to use lawyers. His "case" is full of lies, and he claims he cannot work (has qualifications coming out his a***.
I think eventually he will tire of spending money on lawyers with no return.
Our DC are grown & this should be a clean break divorce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now