Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When you add someone you are dating on Facebook?

(12 Posts)
Licketysplit123 Mon 17-Mar-14 13:10:14

Just wondered what thoughts on this are...?

I've been on several dates with someone and we have a couple of things planned for the next couple of weeks. I have looked at his FB page, to show my friends a picture of him. (he's a bit of a dish I think)

I have absolutely no interest in adding him on FB though, but my friends seem to think that is strange. Luckily, he hasn't added me so far either because I'd feel quite weird about it.

I just think it's been nice getting to know someone without being bombarded with all the info, but others have said it smacks of trying to hide something.

It's not a burning question really, I just wondered what general views on it are...?

chocoluvva Mon 17-Mar-14 13:12:13

No rush IMO.

Jan45 Mon 17-Mar-14 13:13:25

For me I wouldn't either, My FB is for my friends and family, he's not really permanent yet is he. Plus, he hasn't asked you for a friends request either.

Dahlen Mon 17-Mar-14 13:14:18

Several dates? God no, I wouldn't. He will have access to huge amounts of information about you, and if he turns out to be a bit of a psycho he can use that information to cause you all sorts of havoc.

Licketysplit123 Mon 17-Mar-14 13:15:00

Exactly! And I'm pleased he hasn't. I just think it's so personal

BeforeAndAfter Mon 17-Mar-14 13:15:06

I wouldn't but I hate FB. I don't want my FB to be an homage to all the men I've been on several dates with. if I were going to marry someone or move in with them that would be different.

niceupthedance Mon 17-Mar-14 13:16:27

Never.

Licketysplit123 Mon 17-Mar-14 13:17:15

I think I would be tempted to have a good old read and find out stuff that you shouldn't really know at this stage. And vice versa.

Diagonally Mon 17-Mar-14 16:43:40

No I wouldn't add someone unless I was in a serious LT relationship.

Gudgyx Mon 17-Mar-14 16:56:14

I am in a serious relationship, we've been together 3 years and living together for 1 year, don't have each other on fb. I cant stand his fb personality, he is a completely different guy. Show offy, swears a lot, flirts with everyone (i mean everyone, even other guys) and doesn't even realise he'd doing it! So i deleted him lol.

Anyway, i know yours is a completely different situation, just thought I'd share that. Don't add him or accept a request until you feel comfortable with it! I'd wait a few more months at least.

aylesburyduck Mon 17-Mar-14 17:00:25

FWIW my dsis wasn't FB friends with OH until well into a relationship with him. It wasn't something that either of them were bothered about and in any case dbil is not a big FBooker.

No rush when it's time to do so then add him.

chickennoodles Mon 17-Mar-14 17:23:12

I don't have DH on my FB, we've been together seven years. I made a specific decision not to add him to FB when we were dating (don't have family on there either). It probably is a bit unusual, considering all the interactions between couples that I see between friends on FB, but I think I'm happier not to be the kind of person who does that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now